Baking question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for substituting molasses or brown sugar for white sugar? What about using maple syrup instead of sugar?

Any help would be appreciated as I have a bunch of my nieces coming over to make cookies and pies.

Thanks,

My chef tells me 1:1. Might be influenced by your own personal taste though.

-AJ

I'm not sure on molasses but for maple syrup I use 3/4 the amount and reduce the liquid. Usually for each cup of sugar I am replacing with 3/4 of maple syrup I reduce the amount of liquid by 3 tbls.

This from a baking web site:
Because white sugar is denser than brown sugar, to get equal sweetness firmly pack the brown sugar so when inverted the cup of brown sugar will hold its shape. Substituting brown sugar for white sugar in a recipe will produce a baked good that is a little moister with a slight butterscotch flavor.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/sugar.html#ixzz1f2EeWMFs

I sub molasses+white for brown aaaaaall the time. We often run out at work, and here at home. I go by
1 cup dark brown sugar = 3/4 White + 2-3tbs molasses

Depends on your molasses really. It's a little bit of the fun, skipping the brown sugar and buying molasses you like. Plus you get to lick the threads.

Thanks Gents! I really appreciate the help.

Back