Ban on 210 gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Don't mean to hurt feelings in todays sensitive climate, but can we put 210mm gyutos in with santokus as not cool?

Nothing irks me more than seeing the perfect knife listed on the BSTs and you click on it only to see it's a 210!

It's like an ecoboost in a Mustang. Sure you can make an argument of how awesome it is. But it will never be a 5.0.

Now a 270mm is like a Powerstroke diesel in a 2-ton that you drive the kids around in.

Board and kitchen space apply although 30mm isn’t a problem with space I think a 240mm is a bit too much for any board that doesn’t have about 12 inches over.

And I love Santokus.

My feelings ain’t hurt though - I can understand deception when looking at BST. Mine is that every knife I like is often a 240mm and breaks the deal. 😜

As long as it cuts stuff awesomely for you I don’t regard length as a « problem » with any knife - a choice has to be made according to use and preferences.

If I could chime in here, I personally divide knives into:
Small - 180 and under
Medium - 210-240
Large - 270 and up

Thats a ballpark for sizes 'cause those are the common sizes knives come in and there are inbetweeners obviously. So 210 and 240 in my eyes are prety much the same in many ways. Lets say you got yourself a 240 Sakai gyuto and I have a 210 Sanjo gyuto they can be just about the same size on the edge. If you factor in weight and heel height
some Sanjo 210 can feel and perform bigger then some Sakai 240.

I prefer a 210 in my personal pro environment. Just my 2 cents on it.

every low tipped gyuto just looks like a stretched santoku to me.

Case in point: 240 vs Santoku (pics stolen from Knifewear)

mizu-santoku-1_2000x.jpg

mizu-gyuto-240mm-1_2000x.jpg

The 210s know they are a bit less popular than the 225-240s. So they often will work longer and harder to make sure the desired tasks are completed. And often they will be more agreeable to tasks the 225-240s don't want to do.

Back