Ban on 210 gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully everyone understands this is mostly hyperbole. I don't want to take away from anyone selling any 210's. Speaking of which, there is a mint, bad-azz Koishi up on the BST's presently.

While we're on it I never understood the preference for height either 🤷‍♂️

Ergonomically it can be quite important for tall people, depending on the height of the work station/cutting board. Nothing worse for the back than a low cutting board and a short knife.

That addendum aside, I go both ways with height, depends more on the maker and how I intend to use it.

The problem with 210s is not the length but the profile.
I dig the profile on my 210 Kaeru but I still use my 180mm - 195mm knives most...
Kaeru.JPG

My workhorse is a 240mm but I did break down a few months ago and bought a 210mm laser for delicate work. Feels a little bit like a toy but I'm starting to appreciate the ability to do very controlled tip work.

Ergonomically it can be quite important for tall people, depending on the height of the work station/cutting board. Nothing worse for the back than a low cutting board and a short knife.

That addendum aside, I go both ways with height, depends more on the maker and how I intend to use it.
I can see it with the workstation height, I just prefer 45-50mm myself. Fortunately our place has been tougher on the shorties.

Those tall Catchesides that were up piqued my curiosity though.

210 in a professional environment may be inefficient but 240+ in a small kitchen as a home cook leads to injuries, at least for me. That being said my main cutting board is a baby boardsmith... That being said 180 is all I reach for currently. If I had a reg sized prep space, 210 would prob be my sweet spot then

Speaking of which, there is a mint, bad-azz Koishi up on the BST's presently.

*was 😉

I won’t know the difference as it’s my first J knife. And if it does feel short, that’ll be a good excuse to add to the collection. Man, this could be the beginning of another expensive hobby 🤦🏼‍♂️

Don't mean to hurt feelings in todays sensitive climate, but can we put 210mm gyutos in with santokus as not cool?

Nothing irks me more than seeing the perfect knife listed on the BSTs and you click on it only to see it's a 210!

It's like an ecoboost in a Mustang. Sure you can make an argument of how awesome it is. But it will never be a 5.0.

Now a 270mm is like a Powerstroke diesel in a 2-ton that you drive the kids around in.
Pretty certain my 3L M4 in eco mode will smoke your 5.0 Mustang in every category easy.

I’d say a different flag is more representative of America these days

Last edited:
And here we have the no man‘s lands of knives, 181-219 and 241-269, being neither small nor medium not large...

Not sure if this is a humorous comment or a serious one TBH. Im reading this forum for over 7 years and all the knives I bought were from knowledge of members here (cheers for that guys) but as you can see from my comment count I dont comment that much basically because I've seen more knowledgeable comments than I could make so didnt see the point. So forgive me if I dont understand you properly.

I talk in a ballpark measurments, thats all. There are inbetweener and as I commented some 210 are actualy 220 and some 240 are actualy 230. The L-M-S is general speaking. I had a Kono Ginsan that is a 210 gyuto but was actualy 200 on the edge (with a 42mm heel height), so is it in no mans land? It was, and it is in my view, in the bracket of 210 gyutos. No no-man's-land here, just a general perspective.

My house was built in 1931. Counters are not bug enough for a 240+. So i use my 210

Noooo.... 210 can be cool under certain circumstances ,-)

been a 240 advocate for years but.. i have a 210 that I use for a lot of tasks...

pointy coexistence says I.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back