Ban on 210 gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 210 Gyuto's are pretty fine all three of them; Watanabe, Fujiyama B#2 and Kato WH but I would really prefer to have a Mustang Shelby GT500

except a 210 vs a 240/270 isn't like a base mustang vs 5.0. very bad comparison. You buy the size for what you need.

A better comparison would be a 210 as a BMW 5 series, a 240 would be an X5. Similar car, different in size. Buy for what you need.

My most frequently used knife by a large margin is a 210. For me it's a great size, provided that the maker has a good design.
Getting a good edge profile for the length while having enough height at the back, for my personal preferences, seems rarer with 210's than larger sizes. 240's are, however, often too much knife for my typical kitchen use.

Some of the comments in this thread make me despair, but here goes...

I actually agree with the OP... 210 gyutos are a 'tweener' size that is really popular, but has always felt really compromised to me... It's not the do-anything workhorse that a 230-250mm blade is, and it's not as maneuverable as a 165-180mm santoku/gyuto. It's a compromise between those, and you feel that compromise when you cook. A 210 can slice better than a 180, but never as well as a 240. A 210 is more usable on small boards than a 240, but never as much as a 180. It's the length I'd recommend to someone who didn't know what side of the fence they sit on yet. It's a bit of everything, and a lot of nothing.

That said, everyone has their perfect size... 210's might feel as maneuverable in someone else's hand as 180's do in mine... So much of knife selection is based around your body type and technique. Nothing's wrong, unless it doesn't suit you...

- Steampunk

Not big on 210 mm gyutos either. I'd rather have a 180mm gyuto for the extra nimbleness and for smaller tasks. 240mm is the perfect size for general use for me.

We have a traditionally-shaped 210 and never use it; it's either a 225 gyuto or a 150/ 180 petty. But we also have a Harner line knife that is a 210, my wife uses it regularly. It's just a lot different than a regular gyuto and it does not feel odd.

an early 2000s e60 m5 with straight pipes flew past me on the highway few days ago, that thing was meannnnn. I like porsche for German cars tho..

Thats the coolest bmw you dont want to own, those S85s will cost you an arm and a leg when the rod knock starts. The N54/55 is a safer choice and an easy 550hp

210's at lesser of a resale price make it affordable for me to try some of the insanely priced grails... I do use something less than 240 when working the line with limited work area. I'd be faster with a 240-270, but I often don't have lots of available space to work when all hell breaks loose.

I certainly understand the appeal of longer knives for the pros with real speed and volume considerations but for the average home user not so much. I figure if the absence of an extra few centimeters in length is really a problem for you you can always stick a couple rolled up socks in your pants.
240mm you don't need rolled up socksin your pants.

Doesn't matter how much HP you have, if your driving a automatic your a *****.

Being defensive in the USA new cars manual is heading for extinction. It's all about market share.

I get around a lot of restaurants. I’m a Commercial Real Estate Broker who specializes in hospitality. Amongst the people that do this for a living... that happen to like nice knives (and that crowd is surprisingly small, believe it or not) ...just about every “Chef” I know ...likes an 8.5 / 210mm. Some even smaller. Damn near every good line cook I know ..wants that extra inch (9.5/ 240) for prep. The 270 people are just.... in their own world (and I don’t see much of that in commercial kitchens). My collection is 50/50 (I am neither of the above, but an avid cook). Some knives just beg to be 210’s ... some seem better at 240. I realize collectors favor 240 > 210.

240mm or 10 inch Victorinox most used in production kitchens. 240 is sweet spot size for doing lots of prep.

It's not just a forum myth, 210 & smaller are used as line knives because narrow boards. Cutting is final prep before food goes under heat lamp.

Most Culinary school knife kits have 8 inch chef knives. All the knives I recomm. to students are 240 tell them larger knife in pro kitchen is a must.

At home have a couple 180 tall heel knives. Kochi and TF Nashiji. Doing lots of banquet prep at work many years forward push & chopping most used cuts. Can do that as a home blade with TH 180mm.

For peeling watermelon, cantaloupes , pineapples use short heel gyuto narrow blade works better for peeling.

Was mentioned in this thread that ordering 210 blades of nice knives saves money. I have done that because don't need but one 240 at home. Gengetsu, Watanabe, TF hammer finish, If you think any of these suffer because they are 210 better improve your knife skills.

Places like JCK sell mostly 210 because aimed at home market.

Back