Banning "pointed" kitchen knives in UK?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Axes, still legal
bzQvcra-db6sXeZ3yT3cSci-71.gif

Because we all know if the point ends didn't exist someone who has no problem stabbing someone else would simply stop being violent and you know, not pick up a screwdriver, ice pick, or just a straight up cleaver.

Either way it doesn't matter to me. I dropped both my gyuto and my petty on their tips and destroyed them within 24 hours of each other :(

That might get you some prison years as I'm sure it's something it will be addressed.

Not so long ago they (in UK) told people to give by free will all types of knives and axes that are or are not meeting legal requirements for carry. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...1000-knives-seized-in-week-of-knife-crackdown
Pretty much thousands of knives were given away based on amnesties.
As far as I way able to understand, collectors are also under scrutiny and some had trouble with the authorities and gave their knives away. So it sounds like a joke, but it might get really serious at some point.
Looks like they are trying to gather as many knives as possible and make acces to knives a lot more difficult or take knives off the market entirely.

https://thefederalist.com/2018/04/13/britains-knife-control-bad-parody-gun-control/
This is a nice read.

Now, the other side of things. While all this knife control looks a bit coo coo, I know people in UK, in London but not only and they have witnessed knives attacks, mostly involving minors. Obviously knives are not the problem here.

Next step. I imagine they (the government or whatever) will think if people had implants and cameras and control over them 24/7, they would eradicate crime. We look, we laugh, but...

make guns available at Tesco, you wont have a knife problem, duh. Then you can ban the obvious generational super vices that will lead to the decline of your nation like video games and vaping.

That might get you some prison years as I'm sure it's something it will be addressed.

Not so long ago they (in UK) told people to give by free will all types of knives and axes that are or are not meeting legal requirements for carry. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...1000-knives-seized-in-week-of-knife-crackdown
Pretty much thousands of knives were given away based on amnesties.
As far as I way able to understand, collectors are also under scrutiny and some had trouble with the authorities and gave their knives away. So it sounds like a joke, but it might get really serious at some point.
Looks like they are trying to gather as many knives as possible and make acces to knives a lot more difficult or take knives off the market entirely.

https://thefederalist.com/2018/04/13/britains-knife-control-bad-parody-gun-control/
This is a nice read.

Now, the other side of things. While all this knife control looks a bit coo coo, I know people in UK, in London but not only and they have witnessed knives attacks, mostly involving minors. Obviously knives are not the problem here.

Next step. I imagine they (the government or whatever) will think if people had implants and cameras and control over them 24/7, they would eradicate crime. We look, we laugh, but...
Knives are dumb. Better off carrying a freezer backpack with disposable ice cycles. That's when you know a man is serious about his life of crime.

My new nickname will be frosty the pointman.

Stick Freeze Frosty?....

Oh no I got it....The Cushion

I can’t read the whole article. Do they define ‘point’? Like, “a point is where two edges meet at less than a 50 degree angle”.

Trying to figure out whether cleavers are even allowed, and whether I would need to start rounding the heels of my knives when going on vacation there.

Unintended consequences ...

Back in the day when the Brits ruled India they decided there were too many snakes.

So they put a bounty on snakes.

The ever industrious Indians started raising snakes to collect the bounty.

The Brits realized they were being had so they cancelled the bounty.

The ever industrious Indians realized that without the bounty there was no point in raising snakes.

So ... the Indians release all the snakes they were raising.

Unintended consequences ... it will be interesting where banning pointy knives will lead?????

I have a Kiwi friend who was going on about how NZ banned rifles after the Christchurch massacre. I said it’s a good thing Americans didn’t think the same after 911 ... they would have banned airplanes. He tells me now that innovative Kiwis are importing rifle parts from China to collect the buyback payment. Unintended consequences.

Next, you have to ban sporting equipment:
<picture of dudes with a baseball bat>
Baseball bats? Well that's not so hard, is it? Since UK'ers do not play baseball, a baseball bat in the UK would have No Legitimate Sporting Purpose. Banning it would be trivially easy.

I have a Kiwi friend who was going on about how NZ banned rifles after the Christchurch massacre. I said it’s a good thing Americans didn’t think the same after 911 ... they would have banned airplanes.
I would not overestimate most Americans in that regard. Anyone who does any real travel nowadays knows that the US treats air travel as the "assault weapon" of the First Amendment right of peaceable assembly.

He tells me now that innovative Kiwis are importing rifle parts from China to collect the buyback payment. Unintended consequences.
Just like the Indians and their snakes. History does rhyme.

On the original topic, is there any real pushback in the UK against the sort of policy in the original post? Or is it a one-way slide down to total prohibitionism?

I have a Kiwi friend who was going on about how NZ banned rifles after the Christchurch massacre. I said it’s a good thing Americans didn’t think the same after 911 ... they would have banned airplanes. He tells me now that innovative Kiwis are importing rifle parts from China to collect the buyback payment. Unintended consequences.

The Patriot Act was passed after that and Iraq was invaded...... There was a reaction......

Baseball bats? Well that's not so hard, is it? Since UK'ers do not play baseball, a baseball bat in the UK would have No Legitimate Sporting Purpose. Banning it would be trivially easy.

I would not overestimate most Americans in that regard. Anyone who does any real travel nowadays knows that the US treats air travel as the "assault weapon" of the First Amendment right of peaceable assembly.

Just like the Indians and their snakes. History does rhyme.

On the original topic, is there any real pushback in the UK against the sort of policy in the original post? Or is it a one-way slide down to total prohibitionism?
There was an article where a chef in europe claimed that you don't need a pointy knife to cook. He was one of those individuals who advocated knife bans.

I just want everyone to remember that Every time someone is murdered the government loses a tax payer which hurts their revenue.

They also lose a potential killing machin....err soldier to sacrifice on some political fabricated war effort.

Latest posts

Back