Banning "pointed" kitchen knives in UK?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by chiffonodd, Sep 24, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 26, 2019 #91

daddy yo yo

daddy yo yo

daddy yo yo

I am not going to comment on Brexit. Hundreds of intelligent people... Uhm, no! Hundreds of people... Uhm, no! Hundreds of politicians get paid to sort out what the British people really wanted... or want... at least voted for... or against... What was it all about again?!??

What did I want to say? Oh yeah, Church of England! I am sure those advanced and modern dignitaries know exactly what is good and what is evil (let us all burn some witches), and they are very well known for their modern and of course always realistic point of view...

2. Sep 26, 2019 #92

bm11

bm11

bm11

Supporting Member

Not to turn this political, but this here is the exact reason that us second amendment advocates in the US fight so hard to not give an inch. It starts with automatic rifles and the next thing you know, they want to take away pointy knives.

The next step is sharp knives, who really needs them?

Dave Martell likes this.
  3. Sep 26, 2019 #93

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

Anyway.

On the subject of the pointy knives, I wonder why they don't try to ban "open carry" of pointy knives in the street instead. Or are people mostly carrying them in backpacks anyway or something? It's certainly a curious overreaction.

M1k3 and miggus like this.
  4. Sep 26, 2019 #94

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Any blade over 3" is not legal to carry as we speak, unless you can really justify why. That's not the problem. The problem goes a lot deeper and taking away all the tools in the world won't solve anything.

ian likes this.
  5. Sep 26, 2019 #95

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

I’m trying to remember the first time I read an article that claimed they were trying to ban pointy knives in England. It was toward the end of my first “real” job out of college and when I’d just really gotten into cooking and consequently kitchen knives, so... 2002?

6. Sep 26, 2019 #96

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

They already restrict blade length, blade type and how or where a knife can be brandished. It is the same route that is used with guns. Put enough restrictions on use and eventually the public can be convinced they don't need the item in question.

aboynamedsuita likes this.
  7. Sep 26, 2019 #97

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

It would be the first time the onion produced an article that wasn't satire.

8. Sep 26, 2019 #98

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

The guy with the knife roll is probably the supplier to mafia hitmen and underworld assassins.

9. Sep 26, 2019 #99

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

People will use whatever is convenient with easy access. Knife nuts rarely stab people. When they do, it's with the cheap throwaway EDC.

10. Sep 26, 2019 #100

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

@bm11 you don't really need a sharp edge to cook at home. You can accomplish all of your cooking needs with a spoon.

11. Sep 26, 2019 #101

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

Exactly, it is not about making more laws. It is already illegal to stub people. They need to deal with the root cause of the problem. If it is not knives it can be screwdrivers or nails or anything really. Kitchen knives are used just because they are easily accessible, make them difficult to get and something else will take their place. Stupid, band aid solution proposition.

Dave Martell and kayman67 like this.
  12. Sep 26, 2019 #102

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

Very true. Although one should also add that what makes it stupid is that kitchen knives are important in other applications. If there was a trend where most stabbings were bizarrely done with Hello Kitty pins, I’d be down with banning them. Gain/loss assessment. :)

Hello Kitty fans may disagree.

13. Sep 26, 2019 #103

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

I agree whole heartetly with banning hello Kitty anything.

The point though stands, making more laws that ban specific items that happen to be used in an already illegal activity is stupid and useless. So it is not stupid because knives are used for other things, it is stupid in principle. You wouldn't ban rocks if people started running around smashing people on the heads with them. You wouldn't ban cars for running over people. You could argue that swords only exist to kill people so should be illegal, but that misses the point that killing people is already illegal and swords don't by themselves cause deaths. As such making swords illegal to prevent deaths by swords is idiotic.

14. Sep 26, 2019 #104

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Who wants to go into the shiv business with me in England?

15. Sep 26, 2019 #105

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

I totally agree with you in principle.
    I totally agree with you in principle. However, since it seems hard to treat the root cause (one should still try), if a ban on Hello Kitty pins actually decreases the number of stabbings by fanboys/fangirls, it’s hard to argue that it was a bad idea, even considering one’s principles, since the positive impact would outweigh the negative imo. However, to my knowledge there’s never been such a Hello Kitty epidemic or ban, so we can’t talk statistics. :)

I’ll let you have the last word, and bow out, though, before Matus gets mad at me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  16. Sep 26, 2019 #106

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

Oh, I didn't realize @Matus was a Hello Kitty fan, I apologize in advance.

Nikabrik and ian like this.
  17. Sep 26, 2019 #107

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

:)

Btw, been using the Marko you sold me for a bit now, and it’s stupid awesome. Thanks again.

Barmoley likes this.
  18. Sep 26, 2019 #108

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

I have a Hello Kitty bladeguard but the tip is rounded on this 480mm blade, please don’t confiscate

IMG_1895.jpg

Nikabrik, Jon-cal, ian and 2 others like this.
  19. Sep 26, 2019 #109

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

Someone around here has a Hello Kitty knife, it is pointed though, as far as I remember. Come on, whom ever has it fess up....

20. Sep 26, 2019 #110

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

I dont have a hello kitty knife but I have a hello kitty that has a knife does that count? (The hello kitty Shig santoku is what ur thinkig of)

21. Sep 26, 2019 #111

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

Yep, that's right, that's the one.....

22. Sep 26, 2019 #112
    Banning swords apparently worked extremely well in Japan.

23. Sep 26, 2019 #113

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

They wiped out the whole samurai class and that particular way of life...

kayman67 likes this.
  24. Sep 26, 2019 #114
    Indeed, but it was overdue (one could draw a parallel to ‘militia’ in certain country but we should probably not discuss that here ;)) . Times change - and laws need to reflect the changes in snd evolution of given society.

... but how did we get here from Hello Kitty knives?

25. Sep 26, 2019 #115

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

The answer _20190926_141745.jpeg

ian and Matus like this.
  26. Sep 26, 2019 #116

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

I am trying to avoid "that" conversion very hard for many reasons, mainly because it is against forum rules.

Now, the Hello Kitty knife discussion is tricky because apparently you are a fan and we are all tip toying around it in fear of pissing you off...

27. Sep 26, 2019 #117
    Sorry about the first part, it was indeed a provocation.

But where is the part about me being a fan of Hello Kitty knives coming from? :eek:

28. Sep 26, 2019 #118

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

The origin was Barmoley's inspired interpretation of my comment about you not appreciating a certain discussion above. My comment was about your reputation as a moderator extraordinaire, though. I currently have no evidence about whether or not you are a Hello Kitty fan.

Perhaps I should start a "How much do you love Hello Kitty?" poll thread, though. Then we could answer these important questions for the general KKF member, which would be... something.

Matus likes this.
  29. Sep 26, 2019 #119

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

My kids keep on telling me I am not funny, they might be on to something.....

30. Sep 26, 2019 #120

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

My 4 yr old thinks I'm hilarious. I imagine that in 5 years my sense of humor will not have changed, though, while his will have improved.