Banning "pointed" kitchen knives in UK?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Brexit coming, England may not be part of the modern world much longer
I am not going to comment on Brexit. Hundreds of intelligent people... Uhm, no! Hundreds of people... Uhm, no! Hundreds of politicians get paid to sort out what the British people really wanted... or want... at least voted for... or against... What was it all about again?!??

What did I want to say? Oh yeah, Church of England! I am sure those advanced and modern dignitaries know exactly what is good and what is evil (let us all burn some witches), and they are very well known for their modern and of course always realistic point of view...

Not to turn this political, but this here is the exact reason that us second amendment advocates in the US fight so hard to not give an inch. It starts with automatic rifles and the next thing you know, they want to take away pointy knives.

The next step is sharp knives, who really needs them?

Anyway.

On the subject of the pointy knives, I wonder why they don't try to ban "open carry" of pointy knives in the street instead. Or are people mostly carrying them in backpacks anyway or something? It's certainly a curious overreaction.

Any blade over 3" is not legal to carry as we speak, unless you can really justify why. That's not the problem. The problem goes a lot deeper and taking away all the tools in the world won't solve anything.

Reactions: ian
I’m trying to remember the first time I read an article that claimed they were trying to ban pointy knives in England. It was toward the end of my first “real” job out of college and when I’d just really gotten into cooking and consequently kitchen knives, so... 2002?

Guys you know just cause there's an article about it doesn't mean it's actually happening right?
They already restrict blade length, blade type and how or where a knife can be brandished. It is the same route that is used with guns. Put enough restrictions on use and eventually the public can be convinced they don't need the item in question.

This doesn’t seem weird to me at all. Who’s statistically more likely to stab you, the guy with the deep carry clip or the guy with the knife roll? Both events are unlikely, but I’d argue that the first is much more likely than the second.
The guy with the knife roll is probably the supplier to mafia hitmen and underworld assassins.

Food for thought, at least. Guess it makes more sense for teens without a lot of money to just grab a knife from their parents’ house or something. Wonder if this stat holds more generally for all stabbings, not just teens.
People will use whatever is convenient with easy access. Knife nuts rarely stab people. When they do, it's with the cheap throwaway EDC.

@bm11 you don't really need a sharp edge to cook at home. You can accomplish all of your cooking needs with a spoon.

Any blade over 3" is not legal to carry as we speak, unless you can really justify why. That's not the problem. The problem goes a lot deeper and taking away all the tools in the world won't solve anything.
Exactly, it is not about making more laws. It is already illegal to stub people. They need to deal with the root cause of the problem. If it is not knives it can be screwdrivers or nails or anything really. Kitchen knives are used just because they are easily accessible, make them difficult to get and something else will take their place. Stupid, band aid solution proposition.

Exactly, it is not about making more laws. It is already illegal to stub people. They need to deal with the root cause of the problem. If it is not knives it can be screwdrivers or nails or anything really. Kitchen knives are used just because they are easily accessible, make them difficult to get and something else will take their place. Stupid, band aid solution proposition.

Very true. Although one should also add that what makes it stupid is that kitchen knives are important in other applications. If there was a trend where most stabbings were bizarrely done with Hello Kitty pins, I’d be down with banning them. Gain/loss assessment. :)

Hello Kitty fans may disagree.

Very true. Although one should also add that what makes it stupid is that kitchen knives are important in other applications. If there was a trend where most stabbings were bizarrely done with Hello Kitty pins, I’d be down with banning them. Gain/loss assessment. :)

Hello Kitty fans may disagree.
I agree whole heartetly with banning hello Kitty anything.

The point though stands, making more laws that ban specific items that happen to be used in an already illegal activity is stupid and useless. So it is not stupid because knives are used for other things, it is stupid in principle. You wouldn't ban rocks if people started running around smashing people on the heads with them. You wouldn't ban cars for running over people. You could argue that swords only exist to kill people so should be illegal, but that misses the point that killing people is already illegal and swords don't by themselves cause deaths. As such making swords illegal to prevent deaths by swords is idiotic.

I totally agree with you in principle.
I agree whole heartetly with banning hello Kitty anything.

The point though stands, making more laws that ban specific items that happen to be used in an already illegal activity is stupid and useless. So it is not stupid because knives are used for other things, it is stupid in principle. You wouldn't ban rocks if people started running around smashing people on the heads with them. You wouldn't ban cars for running over people. You could argue that swords only exist to kill people so should be illegal, but that misses the point that killing people is already illegal and swords don't by themselves cause deaths. As such making swords illegal to prevent deaths by swords is idiotic.

I totally agree with you in principle. However, since it seems hard to treat the root cause (one should still try), if a ban on Hello Kitty pins actually decreases the number of stabbings by fanboys/fangirls, it’s hard to argue that it was a bad idea, even considering one’s principles, since the positive impact would outweigh the negative imo. However, to my knowledge there’s never been such a Hello Kitty epidemic or ban, so we can’t talk statistics. :)

I’ll let you have the last word, and bow out, though, before Matus gets mad at me.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you in principle.

I totally agree with you in principle. However, since it seems hard to treat the root cause (one should still try), if a ban on Hello Kitty pins actually decreases the number of stabbings by fanboys/fangirls, it’s hard to argue that it was a bad idea, principles and all. :)

I’ll let you have the last word, and bow out, though, before Matus gets mad at me.

Oh, I didn't realize @Matus was a Hello Kitty fan, I apologize in advance.

I have a Hello Kitty bladeguard but the tip is rounded on this 480mm blade, please don’t confiscate

IMG_1895.jpg

Someone around here has a Hello Kitty knife, it is pointed though, as far as I remember. Come on, whom ever has it fess up....

Someone around here has a Hello Kitty knife, it is pointed though, as far as I remember. Come on, whom ever has it fess up....
I dont have a hello kitty knife but I have a hello kitty that has a knife does that count? (The hello kitty Shig santoku is what ur thinkig of)

You could argue that swords only exist to kill people so should be illegal, but that misses the point that killing people is already illegal and swords don't by themselves cause deaths. As such making swords illegal to prevent deaths by swords is idiotic.

Banning swords apparently worked extremely well in Japan.

They wiped out the whole samurai class and that particular way of life...

Indeed, but it was overdue (one could draw a parallel to ‘militia’ in certain country but we should probably not discuss that here ;)) . Times change - and laws need to reflect the changes in snd evolution of given society.

... but how did we get here from Hello Kitty knives?

Indeed, but it was overdue (one could draw a parallel to ‘militia’ in certain country but we should probably not discuss that here ;)) . Times change - and laws need to reflect the changes in snd evolution of given society.

The answer
_20190926_141745.jpeg

I am trying to avoid "that" conversion very hard for many reasons, mainly because it is against forum rules.

Now, the Hello Kitty knife discussion is tricky because apparently you are a fan and we are all tip toying around it in fear of pissing you off...

Now, the Hello Kitty knife discussion is tricky because apparently you are a fan and we are all tip toying around it in fear of pissing you off...

Sorry about the first part, it was indeed a provocation.

But where is the part about me being a fan of Hello Kitty knives coming from? :eek:

The origin was Barmoley's inspired interpretation of my comment about you not appreciating a certain discussion above. My comment was about your reputation as a moderator extraordinaire, though. I currently have no evidence about whether or not you are a Hello Kitty fan.

Perhaps I should start a "How much do you love Hello Kitty?" poll thread, though. Then we could answer these important questions for the general KKF member, which would be... something.

The origin was Barmoley's inspired interpretation of my comment about you not appreciating a certain discussion above. My comment was about your reputation as a moderator extraordinaire, though. I currently have no evidence about whether or not you are a Hello Kitty fan.

Perhaps I should start a "How much do you love Hello Kitty?" poll thread, though. Then we could answer these important questions for the general KKF member, which would be... something.

My kids keep on telling me I am not funny, they might be on to something.....

My 4 yr old thinks I'm hilarious. I imagine that in 5 years my sense of humor will not have changed, though, while his will have improved.

Back