Banning "pointed" kitchen knives in UK?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahem. Blame Stefan.
12166631916_5387661b82_c.jpg

So the battle against knives is an odd one - uk edc can only be a folding knife with no locking mechanism with an edge length of less than 3” unless you have a valid reason in which case anything not on the banned list is fine (banned list is things like gravity knives, flick knives, etc)
So a chef can carry a 300mm gyuto to and from work as they have a valid reason.

Spyderco made the uk penknife to meet these requirements to have knife you can carry without needing a valid reason.

Denmark has similar laws but adds in it can’t be oho, so more restrictive in a way.

A lot of knife crime is kitchen knives as they are ubiquitous and cheap- a £1 kitchen knife vs a £1k rockstead

You joke about hello kitty pins, but due to the increase in policing of knives a lot of ne’er do wells have switched to bicycle spokes, cheap easy to get hold of, not a knife and puts a hole in someone pretty easily.

These stories are pretty boring- with so much repetition of brexit news they need something different to report. It will never come to anything, as where can it stop, everyone will have to grind their finger nails down on the pavement as nail scissors are too pointy, blacksmithing is prohibited as can be a way of making metal pointy, trees can only be pruned by snapping the branches, nonsense

From the letter:
Historically we needed a point on the end of our knife to pick up food because forks weren’t invented. Now we only need the point to open packets when we can’t be bothered to find the scissors.

Does anyone remember the safety/prison knife from Richmond a few years ago?

That was the knife that got me started with my own knife journey ... I didn't even know what a Shigefusa was when I first saw it

So how has your journey informed your perspective on Hello Kitty and on Shigefusa's knives?

I totally agree with you in principle.

I totally agree with you in principle. However, since it seems hard to treat the root cause (one should still try), if a ban on Hello Kitty pins actually decreases the number of stabbings by fanboys/fangirls, it’s hard to argue that it was a bad idea, even considering one’s principles, since the positive impact would outweigh the negative imo. However, to my knowledge there’s never been such a Hello Kitty epidemic or ban, so we can’t talk statistics. :)

I’ll let you have the last word, and bow out, though, before Matus gets mad at me.
London beat New York in murders this year. Banning weapons does nothing.

Europe has seen an increase in acid attacks. I would rather be stabbed, shot ran over with a car.

Banning swords apparently worked extremely well in Japan.
They just substituted with sushi knives. School stabbings is a major problem in Japan. You just don't hear about it.

Yakuza still find ways to get guns somehow.

According to Wikipedia, this was only true in February 2018. However, that month was an aberration. New York has always had a higher murder rate.
Those are handy excuses politicians use to avoid hard work.

hehehe, thanks for summarizing the 2nd article :)

Could you please be a lamb and assess the first article as well?

Last edited:
Don't have to. I was making a point. People use catchy headlines to support their position even when the context with said article will state otherwise.

I can't remember the context of the research paper but I once read one where in the summary where the researcher made recommendations that went AGAINST his own research results.

Don't have to. I was making a point. People use catchy headlines to support their position even when the context with said article will state otherwise.
But you seem to be arriving at the same conclusion as me.

Reading the first article would take precious time out of my lazy non functional day which is the real reason. It's hard enough to play Borderlands 2 and respond to KKF at the same time haha.

Maybe some of my forum rage comes from when I waste a golden key on a cheap pointless weapon lol.

I can't remember the context of the research paper but I once read one where in the summary where the researcher made recommendations that went AGAINST his own research results.

You can't make a point, they have been banned :D

hehehe, thanks for summarizing the 2nd article :)

Could you please be a lamb and assess the first article as well?

Since you asked nicely, and I have no life being up in the middle of the night due to too much sugar and coffee intake, I decided to read the first article.

I like how the author admits that London did have more murders for 2 months, but you can't count that because it was an anomaly in his own words. As if that defeats the purpose that it was news worthy in the first place. Donald Trump is an anomaly but that does not change the fact that he is the current president.

I like how he kindly ignored the fact that murders in New York have been steadily declining since at least the 1990s while London murder rate has been pretty consistent. I have no love for New York, but you can at least say they are making the city safer. London on the other hand figures that the tradition of a steady murder rate is a proper direction.

The author also noted that it is impossible to compare violent crimes in general so he ignores any comparisons. It was a nice dodge on his part.

One strange individual made a comment that there are more murders in NY overall because of the guns, as if cars don't kill just as many people. The real reason is because while the USA has an active long tradition of waging war on drugs and gangs, London does not have the same policies. As London, and Europe in general with a few exceptions, treats drug usage, possession, dealing, and trafficking more lenient than the US as well as state sponsored outreach programs to help young gang members, maybe, just maybe they don't breed the same environment that leads to more violent crime.

London also has more generous welfare programs that more young men can have access to than the US (as I have been told and read randomly). Less desperation and more chances for opportunity means less need to commit illegal acts in my humble opinion.

Did I mention that murders in the US have been declining overall for decades?

None of this applies to immigrants of course because no country on the planet cares about poor immigrants. Just sayin.

Thank you. Now I can rely on your summary and extrapolations as opposed to actually reading the articulate to support my not yet disclosed position

If it helps you can always use the "If by Whiskey" argument.

Back