Techniques Bargain cookbooks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that Amazon is selling used books when searching for my cook books.

I was able to get s lot of them for 0.99. great deal!

Breaking my own rules but for 7 bucks this is one of the best cookbooks that’s ever been written in English

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WT6Y96JXCESHESVF8CYQ
I bought the hard cover version of this, based on your recommendation and I'm really very happy I did.
Have read through the soup, pasta sauce and risotto sections so far and it's all inspiring me very much.
And since I'm meal-planning at the moment to avoid unnecessary trips to the supermarket I already know that I will be cooking at least three dishes from it in the next week.

Last edited:
Used paperback copies of "On food and cooking" by Harold Mcgee can be had for like $7 on amazon - great book that helps you to understand the technical side of cooking and what causes food to react the way it does.

The kindle version is on sale @ $20

How many people have actually read Escoffier? I admit I had a copy for a while, but never really opened it. Too .... much .... for me, perhaps. Raise your hands so I can know I'm a worse person than most of you.

I have, during my apprenticeship it was the first book I had to read. Had to go through and make every sauce in a 2 week period and be judged on the outcome. A lot is outdated for sure but the methodology and attention to detail helped to mold my career path.

How many people have actually read Escoffier? I admit I had a copy for a while, but never really opened it. Too .... much .... for me, perhaps. Raise your hands so I can know I'm a worse person than most of you.
I use it more like a reference. Or if I'm bored lol.

Reactions: ian
I have, during my apprenticeship it was the first book I had to read. Had to go through and make every sauce in a 2 week period and be judged on the outcome. A lot is outdated for sure but the methodology and attention to detail helped to mold my career path.

Yea, that I can understand. Respect.

I use it more like a reference. Or if I'm bored lol.

When I’m bored, I watch tv.

Back