Basic carbon utility knife recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbuzbee

Reaction score
Okay, first post with the requisite "which knife" question.....

I have a couple nice Shuns, and they are okay, but my favorite daily knives are actually my Spyderco Yin&Yang. These are VG10 which is fine but I'm looking to add a knife in a nice carbon steel with a similar design. The thing I like most about the Spydercos is how thin the blade is. Around 7" seems to be a nice length for the usual tasks I face. I don't need a fine point or big belly, just a nice general purpose slicer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ken

If you are looking for thin and open to a wa handle, you could get a Konosuke or Sakai Yusuke white#2 petty at 210mm, just an inch longer than your request, but you'll find it comes in handy.

However, if Shun is your comparison point, a knife like these will be EXTREMELY light and thin...only about 65 grams for an 8.2" knife. So that might turn some people off who don't know what to expect.

If you are looking for thin and open to a wa handle, you could get a Konosuke or Sakai Yusuke white#2 petty at 210mm, just an inch longer than your request, but you'll find it comes in handy.

However, if Shun is your comparison point, a knife like these will be EXTREMELY light and thin...only about 65 grams for an 8.2" knife. So that might turn some people off who don't know what to expect.

Thanks! The Wa handle doesn't bother me at all, it's more about the shape, thinness and steel of the blade. I honestly don't have much knowledge of Japanese knives in general and I wouldn't say I'm looking for an ubër knife is any sense. Truth be told, if Opinel made a utility size of their paring knife, I'd take it hands down.

I did find the Konosuke at CKtG but it was out of stock. I didn't see the Sakai Yusuke listed there...

Ken

I can't actually think of many carbon 210 pettys. If you want stainless JKI has a few choices. I have the Sakai Yusuke and it is excellent. You can get them with a white ferrule which looks nice. They also have special ultra-thin version if you are feeling crazy

I enjoy using my Devin Thomas 150mm Carbon petty, but I'm wondering if it's too small for this conversation.

It's also fun to sharpen, although I'm probably overdoing it because of my OCD.

Will Catcheside made one recently that you would probably like, he'll probably make one for you too. You can click the pic.

Murray Carter has one you will like, it's 180mm, white steel(which is carbon, takes a good edge, and is easy to learn to sharpen on). It's laminated with stainless.

There's also other options, like a Takeda Funayuki, which is a great maker and excellent carbon steel, but it's a lot taller than the Spyderco ones you cited as liking.

Mike Davis has been making some great looking stuff too.

Thanks guys! Lots of great recommendations. I'm getting the feeling that Japanese (or at least Japanese style) knives are the most popular styles? I actually prefer a blade shape more like the Opinel paring knife (less tapered to the point but not a "reversed" spine like a Santuko) Nothing like that out there these days?

I enjoy using my Devin Thomas 150mm Carbon petty, but I'm wondering if it's too small for this conversation.

Yeah, I kinda think it might be. 6" would be fine but I'm good up to around 8".

It's also fun to sharpen, although I'm probably overdoing it because of my OCD.

I so get that:biggrin: I've actually started doing touch ups on my DMT ceramic rod. Seems like a nice compromise.

Cheers,

Ken

Even something like the Spyderco Yang would work

53e94d11.jpg

Though a prefer the spine a bit flatter at the tip.

Ken

I'd probably go for a Masahiro VC (KnifeMerchant) or a Suien (JKI) for a basic, all-purpose 150 mm petty. They aren't thick but they are substantial enough.

Even something like the Spyderco Yang would work

53e94d11.jpg

Though a prefer the spine a bit flatter at the tip.

Ken

Id stay away from this one...it is really hard to sharpen on the stones. A recurve special waiting to happen.

How bout those zwillings on discount right now. I picked up the twin cermax 6" petty for $70 at cutlery and more. I also nabbed those miyabi 5000 parer and utility for $35 and $49 respectively on Amazon.

Id stay away from this one...it is really hard to sharpen on the stones. A recurve special waiting to happen.

I've owned this knife and it's sister, the Yin for years. Never had any issues keeping either of them sharp.

5-6 strokes on each side, at each grit on the Sharpmaker and it's shaving sharp.

My ZDP 189 blades are more difficult, but they get there.

Cheers,

Ken

How bout those zwillings on discount right now. I picked up the twin cermax 6" petty for $70 at cutlery and more.

The series with carbon clad in stainless? Those are terrific knives (and thanks for the heads up on the sale!) but I really want something that WILL develope a nice patina over time.

Ken

Looking with interest at H. Roselli's knives. Anyone tried these? Specifically the Astrid series?

Cheers,

Ken

How bout those zwillings on discount right now. I picked up the twin cermax 6" petty for $70 at cutlery and more. I also nabbed those miyabi 5000 parer and utility for $35 and $49 respectively on Amazon.

Do you like the Twin Cermax? I was thinking of getting one of these. I heard it is VERY handle heavy. The handle looks a bit funky. Does it feel ok to you? Hard to sharpen the ZDP 189?

Ever considered a Robert Herder K2HRC60? The thinnest carbon I ever had, very pleasant sharpening, about €50.

Ever considered a Robert Herder K2HRC60? The thinnest carbon I ever had, very pleasant sharpening, about €50.

That looks sweet. Do you happen to know the actual thickness?

Best sources?

Thanks,

Ken

That looks sweet. Do you happen to know the actual thickness?

Best sources?

Thanks,

Ken

Source: edenwebshops.com

My own measures:
Blade length 11.5cm; height 3cm
Spine thickness @ heel: 1.36mm; @ middle: 1.42mm; @ 1cm from tip: 1.05mm
Blade thickness @ 0.5cm from edge: 0.16mm; @ 1.5cm: 0.91mm

I sharpen it @ 8 degree and maintain @ some 11 degree on Cr2O3.

Regards. Bernard

Thanks Bernard!

That is NICE and thin. No issues with the edge angle?

Would you know if there are any USA distributors?

Cheers,

Ken

Source: edenwebshops.com

My own measures:
Blade length 11.5cm; height 3cm
Spine thickness @ heel: 1.36mm; @ middle: 1.42mm; @ 1cm from tip: 1.05mm
Blade thickness @ 0.5cm from edge: 0.16mm; @ 1.5cm: 0.91mm

I sharpen it @ 8 degree and maintain @ some 11 degree on Cr2O3.

Regards. Bernard

I wouldn't advise these angles in general of course. For most users a solid microbevel of some 30 degree inclusive is probably more appropriate.

Not really any distributor, but the manufacturer mentions three retailers in the US, two in NYC and one in Seattle. Poor thing I can't copy paste right now.

robertherder.de

Regards. Bernard

Not really any distributor, but the manufacturer mentions three retailers in the US, two in NYC and one in Seattle. Poor thing I can't copy paste right now.

robertherder.de

Regards. Bernard

Thanks Bernard, of the three listed in the USA, only one seems to carry them, from what I can determine, and they do not seem to stock the K2, but I wrote to ask.

Cheers,

Ken

Back