Breads Bavarian "Brezen" (Pretzels)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know any decent bakery 'Rechts der Isar' ? I may not have enough time to go through town....or is Höflinger-Müller the same (I see loads of Höflinger-Müllers)
Höflinger-Müller these days, yes.

Check out Bäckerei Neulinger. They have several shops in Munich.

Last edited:

Dominick Maone

Reaction score
Do you know any decent bakery 'Rechts der Isar' ? I may not have enough time to go through town....or is Höflinger-Müller the same (I see loads of Höflinger-Müllers)
If you like energy drinks Kong Strong from Lidl is the best one I have ever had. It tastes better than Red Bull and is .50, of which .25 is pfand.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Espresso machine at home, that is my energy drink ;-)

Rreidiii

Reaction score
No, I haven't tried with that.

Sodium carbonate will give you a somewhat stronger alkaline solution than Sodium bicarbonate, but still much weaker than sodium hydroxide, so I would expect lacklustre results.

I did some searches on German baking forums, which anecdotally confirm this. There really is no good substitute for lye. If there were, bakers would have switched to it long ago, if only because sodium carbonate is a lot easier and safer to handle than sodium hydroxide.
Sodium carbonate can very easily be made from sodium bicarbonate…baking soda. Just Google it

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Munich by night, Pretzels on the loose

20211109_184532.jpg

I did not get around to visit a bakery but the hotel was well stocked and by a good baker as well;

20211110_090854.jpg

Rreidiii

Reaction score
How long can you keep the starter dough in the refrigerator? It says up to 48 hours, I can’t see why you can’t keep it for much longer refrigerate.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long can you keep the starter dough in the refrigerator? It says up to 48 hours, I can’t see why you can’t keep it for much longer refrigerate.
I guess that, eventually, the dough will get too sour and overripe. But I suspect that nothing really bad would happen if you leave it in the fridge for another day or two.

Rreidiii

Reaction score
I made your pretzels and I used 3.5% lye and they didn’t get nearly as dark as yours.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made your pretzels and I used 3.5% lye and they didn’t get nearly as dark as yours.
Hmmm… It's difficult to know what happened without knowing all the details. One possibility is that your oven might be running to cool? I'd stick a thermometer in there, such as a ThermoPro TP-17, and double-check that the temperature is actually correct.

If that isn't the problem, just leave the Brezen in there for longer. I usually don't pull them out by the time the alarm I set goes off. Instead, I set the alarm for a few minutes less than the nominal time and then watch them for the last few minutes. That way, I can pull them out when the colour is right.