Other BBQ sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
This is a BBQ sauce I've been making for quite a few years. Very popular with absolutely everyone who tries it. Unfortunately, it has a stupid number of ingredients, but it's worth making the effort.

The quantities here make a little over half a litre.
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter (salted or unsalted is fine)
  • 80 ml (¼ cup) onions, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 120 ml (½ cup) tomato sauce or tomato purée (unsalted and without added sugar)
  • 120 ml (½ cup) ketchup
  • 120 ml (½ cup) vinegar
  • 90 ml (¼ cup + 2 tbsp) brown sugar
  • 60 ml (¼ cup) honey
  • 40 ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) sriracha sauce
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) maple syrup
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) lemon juice
  • 7.5 ml (1.5 tsp) paprika
  • 7.5 ml (1.5 tsp) yellow mustard powder
  • 7.5 ml (1.5 tsp) chili powder (medium heat; cayenne pepper is fine, too)
  • 2.5 ml (½ tsp) black pepper
  • 2.5 ml (½ tsp) garlic powder
  • 2.5 ml (½ tsp) allspice
Melt the butter in a pot and sautée the onion and garlic until translucent and soft (do not let them brown).

Add the remaining ingredients and turn up the heat to medium, stirring frequently until the first few bubbles appear.

Reduce the heat to low and blend to a very fine consistency with a stick blender.

Simmer for 15 minutes, until you get to the consistency you want. If the sauce thickens too much, add water a tablespoon at a time until it seems right. (Remember that, once cooled, the sauce will thicken a bit more.)

Can be kept in the fridge for several weeks in an airtight container.

Last edited:
Thank you! A stupid question, can IT be Frozen?
I have never tried. Given what's in it, I'd say yes. It's not as if you would have lots of fragile fruit in there with cell walls that could burst and make it go mushy.

The sauce might settle out a bit after defrosting but, if it does, a good stir would fix it, I expect. If it doesn't, just warm it up again and add a (small) amount of corn starch as an emulsifier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back