beater most used knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a kiwi, I ground off the hollow grind and it's thin as hell. Gets a nice edge but after a few hours of mire poix and veg work it's done.

Guaranteed sharpness, because we bothered packaging it this time instead of shipping and selling it in bulk :)

My Global Oriental Chef Knife. A knife I can drop and I won't even try to catch it. I always get confused when I use it and it's still sharp, considering how poorly I take care of it :p

need to seriously regrind that awful striation marked secondary bevel

Before you go to that trouble you should try to polish the striations with a cotton cloth buffing wheel. I have found that a surface that is uneven (on the visible/haptic level) but buffed (on the microscopic level) will glide easier through food and have less stiction than a surface that is "smoother" at first glance but unpolished. I think it is because the large, polished uneven parts act like hundreds or thousands of very small Kullens.

I don't think so. Just plain old polishing, but on a microscopic, invisible level while the obvious big "bumps" mostly stay in place and the knife feels as "rough" to the touch as before. I discovered this effect when I started thinning my own knives with my belt sander, which also had a buffing wheel on one side. The difference is huge.

My daily beater is a semi-production 240mm AEBL HHH Gyuto. I've re-profiled down to about 12 degrees per side and it hold an edge very well though pretty much every daily cutting chores. Keep in mind that it is only for home use but it is a great every day beater!!

Use my hhh knife protech, kind of a mid light weight short gyuto. It was cheapish and is basically maintenance free. I had the handle scales re attached after a mishap and couldn't be happier. If works slow I grab my cleaver for practice or maybe some other blade. Vip diners done in front of guests I use something fancy.

Don't HHH knives start at like $700??!?! Pretty luxurious beaters up in here!

Don't HHH knives start at like $700??!?! Pretty luxurious beaters up in here!

The HHH protech was 200 ish. He does a lazer cut aebl full custom for under 400 or a mass produced variant for 200-295. Beautiful blades. Mine has been modified to be xtra sexy.

Yep I paid $200+ for the aebl semi-production 240mm. Great price for a knife that has served me well as my daily go-to knife. Takes a nice edge and retains is for quite some time with just minor stropping.

My knives getting the heaviest workouts lately are a 225mm Marko AEB-L gyuto and a Mert Tansu 255mm honyaki gyutohiki in blue steel I think.

I find that lately ive been using my 150mm carbon funayuki alot more than any of my gyutos.

That's funny, I was just thinking how much I enjoy using a zakuri 150mm funayuki at work. What funayuki do you use?

Yamashin. Actually 135mm, Its not the most nicely ground blade, but when its sharp that little thing is no joke.

I didn't see anyone post a Chuka.
Hands down my favourite beater for sure. I swear they get BETTER with use, or was that abuse...lol
just no frozen or bones. House crap for that.

Also, first time in a while uploading a pic and DAMN, had no idea photo bucket is now holding your nuts for ransom... FkkcrS!.

Viva Imgur!

5QovLK5.jpg

I have a stainless cleaver that gets by far the most use, from chopping veggies for stock, filleting fish, and herbs, as well as being irreplacable on the line
That and a wee parer for little stuff
The gyutos get far more use at home; where style and fun come first

Kohetsu SLD Bunka for me. Used every day for this latest 85 days in a row stint without a day off. BUT...don't laugh....I still use my $15.00 IKEA chef knife for a ton of beater prep work. It's unbelievable...holds an edge almost as good as my Yu Kurosaki gyoto and never gives up. Go figure.

I've a little western handled Burke slicer that I use for everything that I can do with a 210mm. Sad thing is I thought about getting rid of it at first because the handle was I thought a tiny bit small.

9.5 MAC professional series that Ive had for almost 10 years and used in 4 different countries.

My most used knife these days is a 150mm Watanabe stainless clad blue steel petty. I think it's my limited counter space that makes me reach for it.

i'm still impressed with misono moly series that i got from daveb at how good it is while being so inexpensive. i will admit i still long for the yoshihiro mono ginsanko, just cant bring myself to spend $200 on a beater.

Tanaka 150mm ginsanko Petty and tojiro 8.5inch bread knife. Together they retailed for like $100. I’ve worn them down to nothing. I’d feel guilty/embarrassed just giving them away considering the condition that they’re in. Definitely got my money’s out of both knives.

... cutting through a block of cheese over the stainless steel counter. ..

Lol, how many times friends are over and bring something that they want to prep, say a big cheese and then proceed to reach for whatever blade you happen to have within arms reach and cut on the plate/platter. ouch.

Lol, how many times friends are over and bring something that they want to prep, say a big cheese and then proceed to reach for whatever blade you happen to have within arms reach and cut on the plate/platter. ouch.

That's why you put the crap knives in the most accessible location, so they reach for those first.

I keep my nice knives in a roll and stashed in the pantry at home. I do keep a 8" Wusthof chef knife for when anyone over wants to cook. I also grab it from time to time for tough stuff such as splitting chickens.

Back