beater most used knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's a Global G-2. It's the knife my wife uses most, and it's the knife I end up using most often. I never get it out when I'm doing actual prep, but for those times when I just need to cut up one pepper or cut a piece of pizza in half (or whatever) the G-2 is what does the job. I've had it for almost 20 years. "Ol' Reliable."

My current go-to knives are my KS and my Miyabi Koh. The KS is my daily driver and the Koh is the knife I reach for when I need to do something small or don't want to do with the KS. The Koh is also my current travel knife. I have a fair few knives though and I do rotate. HD2 and FKH pair get a lot of board time too.

i did what i posted previously i wouldnt do and that is to spend 200 on a beater, and now it's become my most used knife (yoshihiro ginsan-ko 240) but only after i thinned the hell out of it and got the spine+choil heavily rounded. monosteel g3 is awesome, the only stainless i will tolerate.

I keep my nice knives in a roll and stashed in the pantry at home. I do keep a 8" Wusthof chef knife for when anyone over wants to cook. I also grab it from time to time for tough stuff such as splitting chickens.

new thread theme, "how many of us have to hide our best blades?"
All the bloody time!

Well, after a long road of selling off lots of stuff, I managed to keep my Marko 225mm in 52100. I've used it almost daily in a pro environment for years now, so I guess it qualifies as my work beater. I've thought about offering to send it back to Marko so he can see how well his work has held up after many sharpenings and endless hours of use.

At home it would be a Mac pro santoku. It was my very first "j-knife". I reach for it everytime.

An 8 inch henckles pro S. My first ever "nice" knife. Got it for 50 bucks on a sale on Amazon UK. I've used this thing to split everything from whole chicken to cans. I use it and cherish it so much I'm making a saya for it :p

I recently acquired a Heijo Shinogi used from labor of love... She's the only blade I've used in almost a month! Freakin' awesome all purpose, do it all tool! She slices, she dices and does it all as good as most every knife in the arsenal. The edge profile is amazing for slicing. In the catering business, there's HUGE amounts of slicing cooked protein at a time. This knife holds up fantastic,requiring very little maintenance. Thank you labor of love!

-Will

I have an Ealy 210 I gifted to my wife when she freaked out on me that I was going to sell it. That was maybe 3 years ago. Now it’s our main daily driver at home. It takes a beating and feels damn good every time. It’s not necessarily a beater but gets driven like one. I can’t say enough good things about Del and his work, I’ve ordered customs from him and have gifted a few of his paring knives to folks who place them into the daily grind and absolutely love them. He is undervalued in the market for the quality of knives he makes and materials that he uses IMO.

Anyone elso found the ¥1000 hap40 golden deer knives on Rakuten? They just have a 5-6mm strip of the good steel along the edge then soft stainless. So once you sharpen it away it's all over, get another one. They are brilliant. I've abused it like I wouldn't dare with any of my good knives and I can't chip it.

Last edited:
Anyone elso found the ¥1000 hap40 golden deer knives on Rakuten? They just have a 5-6mm strip of the good steel along the edge then soft stainless.

I saw one on eBay for like $25 and was wondering what the deal was.

My beater is a 5-6yo konosuke Fujiyama white 2, people have knocked it off the counter at work a couple of times so it's profile is a bit effed and due for a re-grind but its on lobster and line duty.

I saw one on eBay for like $25 and was wondering what the deal was.

They are nice and thin.
IMG_5393.jpg

For home it's my Tojiro DP santoku from back when they had a vg-10 core about 16 years ago. It's about 1/2 an thinner than when I got it and been thinned, chips fixed, re-tipped, you name it.

For work my beater is my Kanemasa 240mm E series yodeba SK4 steel. It's great for splitting fish heads, going through large fish spines and can handle trimming up some albacore if needed.

A have a few simple carbon, Sabs and Sheffields, that can deal with anything. If any damage should occur it is easily remediated.
In extreme cases, nuts, chocolate, guest, I have a small carbon 165mm yo-deba by Misono.
Profile looks like a santoku:

But see the geometry is quite robust, to say the least :

Last edited:
A have a few simple carbon, Sabs and Sheffields, that can deal with anything. If any damage should occur it is easily remediated.
In extreme cases, nuts, chocolate, guest, I have a small carbon 165mm yo-deba by Misono.
Profile looks like a santoku:

But see the geometry is quite robust, to say the least :

Missing a lot that one. Nice patina and well cared

For sure a kiwi. Great for cutting eggplant on the fly, opening packages of tofu and chasing crackheads away from the truck. Tough to beat for $4 a piece

Lately wakui has been my beater. It's cheap really thin behind the edge and I'm not too worried if it gets damaged cuz I feel like I already got my money's worth out of it(probably lost 4mm in height from sharpening).

This is very much metal removal ??? My main beater global had not even lost 2mm in 15 years now ......

Greets Sebastian.

My beaters are all carbon no stinking stainless. At work Kumagoro 240mm hammer finish and a medium CCK Kau Kong chopper. Either split lobster no problem.

At home my beater is a Blue Moon 210mm still have my Kau Kong hardly gets used these days, but there if I need it.

Within the scope of work of a home cook my Moritaka 180 AS is becoming my ‘beater’ knife. The knife is a great performer and handles even tougher tasks with ease.

My oldest chef knife, and usually been the only. Been sitting on the line at a couple of restaurants when I was a youngster.

Had the tip snapped off thanks to OTHER line chef grabbing it for "one quick thing", I re-ground the tip.

Been thinned back for a ways above the bevel, I started to thin the whole blade, will finish that some day...
20180911_115202.jpg

20181203_204922.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience with J knives, but my KIYA Suminagashi Petit 140mm sharpens easily and cuts well. In my small HK kitchen its the one I reach for most often.

Back