Beater Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sansho

(͡° ͜ʖ°͡)
Reaction score
let's talk beaters, loaners, and knives to recommend to non-knife people.

for a normal (~200mm) knife, i think the ~$40 victorinox fibrox 8" chef's knife is pretty hard to beat. (but are there others?)

i have a friend who got one and is enjoying it quite a bit after i sharpened it for him. but now he wants a petty. maybe ~150mm. what are some good options? assume a similar budget.

Last edited:
The vic 5" is good for a utility knife you can easily use on the board. The steep angle allows for plenty of knuckle clearance. My friend's wife uses it as a primary chef knife. It also goes on sale for about $15 a couple times a year.

masahiro VC or misono carbon\440 stainless. both great tools and cheap

If it's for non-knife people I'd always get stainless, not something in SK or another carbon steel.
Especially when it comes to petties that often get used as fruitknives anyway.

The SK variety in these knives is pretty resilient and are much more tolerant than other carbons. I have three knives in it and my wife's is her do-it-all blade and no issues at all. She doesn't let it sit but doesn't mess with it until she's fully done cooking.

But it's a fair consideration.

The vic 5" is good for a utility knife you can easily use on the board. The steep angle allows for plenty of knuckle clearance. My friend's wife uses it as a primary chef knife. It also goes on sale for about $15 a couple times a year.

do you know how much flex the 5" and 6" have compared to the 8" chef? i wonder if they're as rigid.

do you know how much flex the 5" and 6" have compared to the 8" chef? i wonder if they're as rigid.
The 5" has much more flex than the 8". I just measured the spine 1.5mm/1.4mm/0.8mm (handle/mid/1cm from tip). It has a laser like performance, but the edge is ground conservatively with a good amount of convex for durability.

Ultimate "I don't care how it's used" beater, in my opinion, is Mercer Millennia.

Yo-deba also.

Wokshop #2 stainless cleaver also. Has survived puncturing many cans.

Something you won't get bummed about seeing someone use it to fix an electrical problem, the Mercer. It's better than a lot of cheap Walmart crap...

that was pretty much already the vic for me, but the mercer is half the price

Back