Beef tongue.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I claimed one from an animal being harvested first week in June.

I was thinking lenqua tacos, but now I’m not so sure. Maybe I should be thinking bigger.

Any ideas?

I think i posted this in the recent Whats Cooking thread. Slow cooked, pankoed and fried crisp, serve Japanese sandwhich style. You can thank me after you make this. Sandwhich needs some pickles/sauerkraut/horseradish as it is quite rich.
IMG_20190429_230207_644.jpeg

I agree, nothing wrong with tacos de lengua or grilled yakitori style with shichimi togarashi on top. Its great in stews or anything slow cooked or pressure cooked. Or you could do a chinese style cold dish with star anise and soy sauce, or a spicy sichuan dish called Fu Qi Fei Pian.

Beef tongues are pretty big, so I expect you could do all of it if you wanted.

My old man’s recipe:

Get a pickled tongue of a weight to suit your needs
Place in cold water with chopped onions, juniper berries, celery stalks, carrots and bay leaves.
Boil until soft when pierced with a fork
Remove, retain liquor and run cold water over tongue
Peel tongue and put aside
Mash up vegetables in liquor with a stick blender or through a sieve
Scoop some liquor into another pot and simmer and reduce. Add mustard, salt, pepper, raisins and something sweetly piquant like Mrs Ball's chutney (lightly curried pickle/jam hybrid made with peaches). Or marsala wine
This is where your palate comes in.
Slice tongue thinly and warm up in prepared sauce and serve with mashed potatoes.

Something stupid I've been wanting to try is to mince the beef tongue into a burger. Also you could. Try it raw (please don't, unless you really want to).

But know the basic parts of the beef tongue. The skin of the tongue is pretty bland. I usually leave it on and peel it off after cooking if needed. The tip of the tongue has the finest grain and the part near the back has the coarsest and the most fat. The sides of the back of the tongue are actually more meat - like. Tongue tastes like an organ meat in texture, usually. The part near the top of the tongue is finer. And the part that rests in the bottom of the mouth is coarser yet again, as you can see in the pictures.

If you wanted to make texture-specific dishes, you could butcher the tongue that way. But I'm not too inventive, so I like boil it and eat it. It does render out a lot of fat if you do that. . . Maybe slow roasted tongue? I think that would be the most luxurious with that uber rendered fat. I think that is probably what I would do if I wanted a challenge. I'm thinking the texture is like fine speckles of meat living in a matrix of collagen and fat barely gelled together, and the flavor concentrated. yeah.

What exactly does "harvesting" an animal mean? Is that an American expression?
I’d argue a butcher harvest meat.

When I kill an animal hunting it feels similar. Please don’t get caught up in the words. .

Call it a metaphor if it makes you feel better.

I agree, nothing wrong with tacos de lengua or grilled yakitori style with shichimi togarashi on top. Its great in stews or anything slow cooked or pressure cooked. Or you could do a chinese style cold dish with star anise and soy sauce, or a spicy sichuan dish called Fu Qi Fei Pian.

Beef tongues are pretty big, so I expect you could do all of it if you wanted.
This is a great idea!!

Whatever you end up making, please do share your results. I don't have much experience with beef tongue so it would be great to hear how it works out.

Boom, I love beef tongue really thinly sliced, almost like prosciutto, with a sauce gribiche. Real old school French classic.

Want to go all in, make some ouefs mayonnaise too. From eggs you harvested!

This is a recipe I like a lot.

Beef tongue with olive oil, garlic and young goat cheese

First you cook beef tounge with mirepoix, bay leaf and bouquet garni. Cooking time is between 2,5 - 4h depending of the age of the animal. It is cooked when you can peel it easily.

After that the tongue is peeled and left to cool. Always peel it while hot. Cooled tongue is then sliced thinly.

In the mean time dice some garlic and infuse it in olive oil. After garlic is well infused in oil drizzle oil over tongue cuts. Cover with shredded young goat cheese.

Yummy!

corned beef tongue, deli style

make a sandwich with caraway rye bread, russian dressing and chopped liver :)

Back