Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also bet you could get some sort of leg extenders to put it a a better height for use.

Got it in the house.

PXL_20240413_220915459.jpg

Does anyone here have a shabazi 208 series knife?

I picked up one before I found this forum as from what I could read the knife was similar to a 1303 cck. I used if for 6 months or so and did enjoy it but the edge retention was lacking.

I got paid off a bunch of holiday so picked up a cck 1101. I'm glad I did for two reasons. Firstly because its geometry is so much better than the shabazi. After using the cck, the shabazi seams unrefined. Next reason is I've got a custom knife on order, I increased the size from 220x110 to 230x115 as the larger cck feels fine.

I understand why people recommend the shabazi, I think I paid £16 for mine but I also feel its not a great representation of how well a cleaver can cut.

I picked up one before I found this forum as from what I could read the knife was similar to a 1303 cck. I used if for 6 months or so and did enjoy it but the edge retention was lacking.

I got paid off a bunch of holiday so picked up a cck 1101. I'm glad I did for two reasons. Firstly because its geometry is so much better than the shabazi. After using the cck, the shabazi seams unrefined. Next reason is I've got a custom knife on order, I increased the size from 220x110 to 230x115 as the larger cck feels fine.

I understand why people recommend the shabazi, I think I paid £16 for mine but I also feel its not a great representation of how well a cleaver can cut.
But, but according to the founder of the Chef Panko fan club it’s the only cleaver necessary everything else is just excessive 😅😂🤣. Nah, most people aren’t blown away by the shibazi around here, except that one guy. I can’t remember his name, but everyone knows who I’m talking about, including him.

Fully agree with that assessment

They are fine for the price, but I find them kind grow thicker every year… probably to appease the market, tho the blade profile is good

I got one for my brother. For the price you can't go wrong but for sure there are better options. He loves it and even chooses it over a shiro kamo santoku he also has. I do find it pretty easy to sharpen but I can't comment on the retention. I'd love to thin it a bit for him.

Back