Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New cleaver yesterday, Suginoto SF4030. Chipped on first use but after taking it to a 1000 rockstar followed by a bbw it's all good.

Attachments

• IMG_20240618_110347.jpg
    IMG_20240618_110347.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I've decided to get a CCK 1302. Kind of a long story, but I'm tired of thinning my Shibazi carbon, and I don't think it will ever equal the geometry of a CCK 1302 no matter how long I keep at it. So there it is. I'm doing it regardless of how over priced I think they are now. I can find nothing like them anywhere close to the same price range.

The question I have for all you rectangle lovers: Which big slicer would get your vote for the best compliment to the 1302, 1102 or 1101?

I will add only two things here.
1. I have had my Shibazi over two years now, and still barely touch my other knives, including my Masahiro 240 gyuto. I love that knife, but not as much as using a cleaver. Go figure.
2. One of my motives for the big cleaver is to cut up whole pork shoulder roasts, sometimes called whole pork butts. For those with bigger cleavers (let's say 22cm length and greater), do you think it will be advantageous, or overkill? When and why do you like using the bigger cleavers?

I sold my 1101 because I needed cash. That’s it. I WILL replace it, one day.

There’s a gyuto in the house, but that’s for my wife. I have a suji I use to break down pork loins and such, but I’m basically full time rectangle. Go for it, man.

Speaking of cleavers, this is my wife's cleaver from at least 20 years ago. Can any of you help identify the "shape" of this kind of cleaver, and also identify the maker/group/info from the chinese characters? Likely purchased in Taiwan.

Attachments

• PXL_20240706_200009880.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240706_200009880.MP.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I sold my 1101 because I needed cash. That’s it. I WILL replace it, one day.

There’s a gyuto in the house, but that’s for my wife. I have a suji I use to break down pork loins and such, but I’m basically full time rectangle. Go for it, man.
Why do you want another 1101 instead of the usual cleavers with lengths 110mm - 120mm?

Speaking of cleavers, this is my wife's cleaver from at least 20 years ago. Can any of you help identify the "shape" of this kind of cleaver, and also identify the maker/group/info from the chinese characters? Likely purchased in Taiwan.
I can read 林福山 and 青紙系列, basically Lin Fu Shan (mountain or person name? Search returns nothing relevant, other text is Blue paper series)

Unfortunately due to the database rollback, the post that provided answers doesn't exist, however this is one of the links showing where the knife would have been purchased in Taipei: https://r01544002.wixsite.com/nang-songshan-market/untitled-cni1

The shape of the cleaver, as it turns out, is common in Taiwan and is called a rou4-gui4 肉桂 (cinnamon) knife, and traditionally was used for cutting herbs although now it's a common knife shape.

*EDIT* what this guy said 👇

My reply disappeared. This is “rougui dao” (肉桂刀) in blue steel. This is the store the knife was purchased in Taipei.

https://r01544002.wixsite.com/nang-songshan-market/untitled-cni1

Rougui means cinnamon. It was original designed to chop Chinese / Taiwanese herbal medicine but later became popular as a chef’s knife.

These were my two daily drivers when I was working in a much busier restaurant. First one is about standard #7 size/weight, the second I think is about 23cm x 12cm. Probably the best $50 I've spent on a knife, probably the best value I've ever gotten from a knife regardless of price point actually. I've got another carbon chopping cleaver from the same brand which is great and also a stainless duck slicer which is a total piece of ****.

I'll need to post a pic of all my cleavers but they need a good bit of cleaning, most of them got a few orange patches from being in storage the last couple of months when we moved to the coast.
IMG_2889.jpegIMG_2890.jpegIMG_2891.jpegIMG_2892.jpegIMG_2893.jpegIMG_2895.jpeg

How thick is the spine and what the weight. Nice looking knife.
3 mm at the spine and it tapers to 2 mm. Bill also offered a lighter variant with a taper to 1 mm or a heavier one without a taper (and options for the finish, handle etc.). Weight is 390.5 g as bill has already said. The balance is good, really comfortable to hold and it feels quite sturdy. Looking forward to putting it on the stones and then some proper cutting to get a proper feel for it.

just checkrd the thread wondering if some other cleavers made by @bill_zeng would turn up. Mine arrived last week very happy with the f&f. Couldn’t do more than a few test cuts but for my taste, it will need to get a bit thinner behind the edge so I cannot say anything about its performance yet.
View attachment 335310
View attachment 335311
View attachment 335312
View attachment 335313

This is a custom request that @bill_zeng made for me. $80 shipped to the UK, cheaper then my CCK so it'll be interesting to see how it is.

Dayyum, those look and sound great!

(Mind if I send you a message too @bill_zeng? Always interested in more caidao from brands/makers I’ve not tried…)

Back