Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry really not my thing... But as Tostada said most cleaver would work for green coconut, I'm commenting more on the bone part, depends what kind of bone you want to cut, for larger beef bones hand saw works a lot better and safer, for large poultry and smaller pork bones a good heavy cleaver would be nice.

Ok, got you, no, would not need to work any larger beef bones. Will look into a heavy cleaver.

What type of board are you using for your cleavers? Seems a bit rude to chop up a hinoki…

982795DC-C203-4469-9C55-A6E909BBAAE8.jpeg

I forgot to put this here. I’m gonna get The Eye. Worth it.

cut up some garden veggies and decided to hone my CCK. sure the steel is very basic. boring almost. but mine holds a pretty good edge. it is by far the easiest blade to sharpen EVER. I still love the thing and it dominates my cutting board time. I love slapping a garlic glove into a flat paste. finish off the paste with a few rocking cuts and it darn near dissolves into cooking dishes. mine is looking fairly tattered. the deep black section fades into the grey section (probably from some over zealous scrubbing). it has remnants of a rust mark. gah, this thing is so sharp. my dinner guest that cut with it can't believe how inexpensive it is. I thin sliced a tri-tip roast with it. to be honest, it is a crappy butter or peanut butter spreader.
CCK.jpg

I seriously need to clean up these leaves!!

It would be nice if there were more options like this in the cck 1303/2 size. 215x95 ish mm. Seems like there are quite a few taller nakiris or full size cleavers but very little in between.

It would be nice if there were more options like this in the cck 1303/2 size. 215x95 ish mm. Seems like there are quite a few taller nakiris or full size cleavers but very little in between.
I have a bigger cleaver from Taiwan. It might be better than the CCK, but it’s bigger. I don’t like bigger. it’s sharper for sure. If/when I get to Taipei my MIL promise to take me to the factory. I’m looking for a smaller one.

I consider myself provisionally on Hyde’s list for a full size friend. I think I’m gonna try and catch as many Swedes as fiscally possible. Cleaver and cleaver adjacent.

A little challenging using cleavers on the taller countertops at home vs lower prep tables at work, but I managed to get some cooking in this weekend. Sugimoto #6 doing a regular onion dice for a sauce yesterday and Tojiro F-631 doing a slightly finer dice for some garnishes. Both thinned, but the Sugimoto has a nicer tip area while the Tojiro has a flatter profile that’s easier to use for most people. I thought the stainless handle on the Tojiro would be weird and slippery, but it’s actually pretty comfortable.

CKTG has some DaoVua 52100 cleaver, which they say are imported from US. 52100 always seems like the perfect carbon steel for cleaver to me, but I've had pretty bad experience with Dao Vua. Some people do report their quality got better recently.

CKTG has some DaoVua 52100 cleaver, which they say are imported from US. 52100 always seems like the perfect carbon steel for cleaver to me, but I've had pretty bad experience with Dao Vua. Some people do report their quality got better recently.
Cleaver + Cheap = Do it

Lol, I was literally thinking @BillHanna probably already bought one. Looks good for a $75 slab of 52100. How’s it sharpen?

Back