Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deng composite cleavers
Taking advantages of double 11 sale on AliExpress I just bought this monster from Dengjia, a more well known manufacturer based in Chong Qing, their sale is more Sichuanese with thick T-spine. Of course I still don't advocate buying random stuff off AliExpress but this should be fine. Had a smaller one from them before, super rustic and rough but more fun than any stainless stuff I had, the steel is ok, better than the regular stuff you found on supermarket cleavers. Also got a stabby butcher knife from them to round out the order and for fun.
View attachment 207875
The Deng composite line of cleavers is a clear alternative to the Shibazi/CCK. Because of their composite construction approach, they are heavier, but well balanced. The whole line of products are very interesting.

Looking forward to your comments and evaluation.

Deng composite cleavers

The Deng composite line of cleavers is a clear alternative to the Shibazi/CCK. Because of their composite construction approach, they are heavier, but well balanced. The whole line of products are very interesting.

Why is composite construction heavier? What does composite construction mean?

Deng composite cleavers

Are they RustyBois or stainless?

Why is composite construction heavier? What does composite construction mean?
It's just Sanmai/Warikomi, called Sanhe/三合 (3 pieces) in Chinese, pretty common in old forging technique. It has nothing to do with weight, the actual form factor has more to do with it. Dengjia is using the older technique of inserting one piece of hard steel in to splited soft iron billet, while modern technique is weld prelaminted piece to a softer stainless back like this.

Last edited:
👮‍♂️ Hmm. Lookin' kinda nakiri to me. I'll need measurements before I pass judgement.
230x80mm at ~450g. It's not the classical cleaver measurements, but I think it's more a cleaver than a nakiri at this size? At least it feels and cuts like a cleaver due to weight and heel height.

Normally I make my 80mm heel height cleavers only 200mm long. That looks more cleaverish. Generally I lately tend to go smaller because full size really is only for the freaks I've learned. 230x100mm is what I go for with the proper big ones but most lay persons can't handle that 😅.

230x80mm at ~450g. It's not the classical cleaver measurements, but I think it's more a cleaver than a nakiri at this size? At least it feels and cuts like a cleaver due to weight and heel height.

Normally I make my 80mm heel height cleavers only 200mm long. That looks more cleaverish. Generally I lately tend to go smaller because full size really is only for the freaks I've learned. 230x100mm is what I go for with the proper big ones but most lay persons can't handle that 😅.
To make sure it’s not a nakiri, you should make one for me just to be sure it’s a cleaver.

"Not, not a chuka bocho (chinese cleaver). The creator, Ide san, was at pains to stress that his tall nakiri is a nakiri, so it's not for thumping through duck necks.

"Instead it's designed to impart the cutting feel of the nakiri's thin blade with additional weight for effortless slicing, dicing and chopping."

yo that's just a cleaver
That’s not for us mere mortals to decide, I will wait for @BillHanna ‘s judgement.

Mine arrived but haven't used it yet. I asked for the flat version but it's not totally flat and still has some slight curve. It's got some heft to it! I think this might be able to handle some tougher tasks. Maybe a bit more like a #7 full size.

I ordered it custom after emailing Michael at Knife Japan who was very helpful. I'd be curious to see if they could make a thinner version but will see how this one goes first.

210 mm length
85-90 mm height
430g

IMG_20221124_080158142_HDR~2.jpg

@BillHanna tall nakiri or small cleaver ha?!

Mine arrived but haven't used it yet. I asked for the flat version but it's not totally flat and still has some slight curve. It's got some heft to it! I think this might be able to handle some tougher tasks. Maybe a bit more like a #7 full size.

I ordered it custom after emailing Michael at Knife Japan who was very helpful. I'd be curious to see if they could make a thinner version but will see how this one goes first.

210 mm length
85-90 mm height
430g

View attachment 210249

@BillHanna tall nakiri or small cleaver ha?!
I was looking at this. Excited to hear how it is

It seems there are not many options on 205-210/90mm small cleavers. I see mostly over 220/110mm's or 180-190/75-80mm's. After trying couple large cleavers I feel better around 210/85-90mm cleavers.

There is a Matsubara B#2 and Tabata B#2 (which I never heard) in CKTG. I was almost buying pull the trigger, then Fellipi answered my questions and gave me around same price with his 52100. I'm really confused now. 😭 Any opinions?

Btw I ordered this little fella below. Super excited!

https://knifejapan.com/yoshimitsu-kajiya-nakiri-bocho-155mm-shirogami-2/

Last edited:
Back