Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Never respect anyone's authority. Make sure that helpful information is provided. With the Shibazi f/208-2, there's more than enough information out there. Then decide for yourself.

Buying any kitchen knife is always a personal decision.

Exactly. That means there will be people who don't like all manner of knives. Just because you personally like a certain knife and reviewer doesn't mean everyone else has to.

If you're going to continuously turn up to push the Shibazi and Chef Panko, then you should expect those of the opposite position will proclaim their opposition.

It would be super-weird if a Japanese chef apprenticed in the US and started calling himself Chef Breadcrumbs.
c07.png

The Japanese Gojuon is literally one the easiest to learn system, しぐれ is seriously some of easiest sound you can make.
Maybe there's a job out there waiting for you?
Exactly. That means there will be people who don't like all manner of knives. Just because you personally like a certain knife and reviewer doesn't mean everyone else has to.

If you're going to continuously turn up to push the Shibazi and Chef Panko, then you should expect those of the opposite position will proclaim their opposition.
I think making "like" "dislike" decisions is a big mistake. I always look for information, but I appreciate a good pesentation. For the Shibazi f/208-2, I had already purchased mine before Chef Panko did his review. I already had enough information. He actually reviewed the f/208-1, but did suggest that the f/208-2 would be better for the home cook.

My deeper involvement with Chef Panko came about because I had been asked to do a review by a Chinese Manufacturer--and he was the only one I could find who was doing such a review at the time.

Last edited:
Maybe there's hundreds thousands of people who can speak Japanese fluently that they don't pronounce Kisuke and Shigure as Kisake and Shigereeea, maybe providing factually wrong information regarding steel and edge retention doesn't counts a good review, maybe the whole Japanese internship is all made up ********, but who knows, maybe you should sign off for a while and stop shits up this thread.

Maybe there's hundreds thousands of people who can speak Japanese fluently that they don't pronounce Kisuke and Shigure as Kisake and Shigereeea, maybe providing factually wrong information regarding steel and edge retention doesn't counts a good review, maybe the whole Japanese internship is all made up ********, but who knows, maybe you should sign off for a while and stop shits up this thread.
I've been away from this thread most of today, only respond when I can clear things up. I get email messages. I won't respond if I'm not addressed. I'm also working on a major project and interacting with collaborators--foreign, but not Asian. I also check on basketball. We're here to learn and have fun--aren't we?

Guess the best is we just all hit the ignore button and stop replying to that thing, so at least we can have a somewhat clean thread. Hope the mod can clean the thread up after he's gone.
You don't hit the ignore button--that's why I reply to you. I've spent my life in a multi-ethnic world--and have been finally been able to expand my batterie beyond a beloved nakiri to Chinese vegetable cleavers--and I'm loving it!

The comment I questioned was about Chef Panko. If you find an instance from me like that, let me know.

If in any way I personally offended you, it was in no way my intent.

Last edited:
Just curious, in reviewing your own comments thus far, on average how respectful do you think you have been to the others on the forum, on a scale from 1-10?
Just let him be, hit ignore, if urban dictionary need a link for the definition of oblivious they should link to his profile. He don’t deserve any respect or our time, hope mod will clean this thread up afterwards.

Just let him be, hit ignore, if urban dictionary need a link for the definition of oblivious they should link to his profile. He don’t deserve any respect or our time, hope mod will clean this thread up afterwards.
How else are we all gonna know what Chef Pancho says about one particular China knife?

I was in an Asian supermarket a couple of weeks ago and bought a (second) Shibazi, cos they cost about tuppence ha'penny and this one was pretty big, with quite a cool looking grind. A proper workhorse; very thick at the spine, but relatively thin for a lot of the bevel. My kinda caidao:

IMG-3862.jpg

IMG-3867.jpg

I was in a bit of a rush though, so didn't look at the particular knife I got particularly closely until I got home.

On the basis that a picture speaks a thousand words, here is my review of my new Shibazi:

IMG-3865.jpg

FFS.

I was in an Asian supermarket a couple of weeks ago and bought a (second) Shibazi, cos they cost about tuppence ha'penny and this one was pretty big, with quite a cool looking grind. Very thick at the spine, but relatively thin for a lot of the bevel. My kinda caidao:

View attachment 232214

View attachment 232213

I was in a bit of a rush though, so didn't look at the particular knife I got particularly closely until I got home.

On the basis that a picture speaks a thousand words, here is my review of my new Shibazi:

View attachment 232215

FFS.
Tho I’m not a huge fan of Shibazi, their QC usually aren’t that bad, this is pretty bad bend for a factory knife.

I was in an Asian supermarket a couple of weeks ago and bought a (second) Shibazi, cos they cost about tuppence ha'penny and this one was pretty big, with quite a cool looking grind. A proper workhorse; very thick at the spine, but relatively thin for a lot of the bevel. My kinda caidao:

View attachment 232214

View attachment 232213

View attachment 232215

FFS.

Sorry buddy. You should write to Chef Panko.

Tho I’m not a huge fan of Shibazi, their QC usually aren’t that bad, this is pretty bad bend for a factory knife.

And the real bloody kicker was that the f***ing tang was hardened.

Normally the tangs of caidao (or any knives for that matter) aren't hardened. So with a bit of effort you'd be able to bend it back quite happily, usually just in your hands. But absolutely no way this was budging at all. And by the time I'd wanged it in a vice, smacked it with a hammer, and jumped on it a bit, I probably wasn't going to be able to take it back to the shop either.

So I smashed the handle off, largely out of frustration, and guess what...

Tang is straight as an arrow, they'd just drilled the handle at a massive angle. Hey ho, I'll just make a new one sometime.

(Though I'm not much looking forward to trying to cut off the curly bit at the end if it's hardened all the way down).

Last edited:
When someone posts something like that, I always go on Google Maps and check out the maps and if available the street view. China is a very interesting and fascinating place and I would love to some day go there.

But at the same time, it feels a bit impenetrable with the size of the country and the barriers in culture and language...

I have lived a few months each in Singapore and Taiwan which are both obviously largely chinese in culture and language. That was far before I was in to cooking but I do remember the food fondly.
I might be going to Shanghai this summer. I have a potential teaching opportunity for a week or two. I'm pretty psyched. Definitely going to try and bring back some new squares.
And the real bloody kicker was that the f***ing tang was hardened.

Normally the tangs of caidao (or any knives for that matter) aren't hardened. So with a bit of effort you'd be able to bend to back quite happily, usually just in your hands. But absolutely no way this was budging at all. And by the time I'd wanged it in a vice, smacked it with a hammer, and jumped on it a bit, I probably wasn't going to be able to take it back to the shop either.

So I smashed the handle off, largely out of frustration, and guess what...

Tang is straight as an arrow, they'd just drilled the handle at a massive angle. Hey ho, I'll just make a new one sometime.

(Though I'm not much looking forward to trying to cut off the curly bit at the end if it's hardened all the way down).
One (or three) of those carbide cutting wheels on a Dremel can do it.

I might be going to Shanghai this summer. I have a potential teaching opportunity for a week or two. I'm pretty psyched. Definitely going to try and bring back some new squares.

Sounds sweet, if you need any help I can recommend some good stuff, mostly online but it’s possible to let the host buy them for you. There might be some really good stuff that’s only available directly from maker, maybe I can arrange something for you.

You will of course visit Yang's Fried Dumplings, yes? And eat river shrimp?

Sounds sweet, if you need any help I can recommend some good stuff, mostly online but it’s possible to let the host buy them for you. There might be some really good stuff that’s only available directly from maker, maybe I can arrange something for you.
That would be amazing. I'll DM when I have everything finalized. If not this summer then sometime in the next year or two I'm for sure going. It was something I had arranged before the pandemic that I had pretty much given up on but now is looking like a real possibility.

Should ask Chef Panchito for advice on visiting China. Maybe get a tour of the Fugazi factory, pick out an F208-1 or F208-2 in person? 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back