Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should ask Chef Panchito for advice on visiting China. Maybe get a tour of the Fugazi factory, pick out an F208-1 or F208-2 in person? 🤷‍♂️
I have owned several Shibazis. Probably like 6 or 8. Some with wood handles and some with the all steel construction. Some bought new at various China towns and Asian groceries and some vintage on ebay. They are okay but usually too thick behind the edge for what I like.

I have owned several Shibazis. Probably like 6 or 8. Some with wood handles and some with the all steel construction. Some bought new at various China towns and Asian groceries and some vintage on ebay. They are okay but usually too thick behind the edge for what I like.

More of a review than any ChefPablo video.

You guys better be careful saying negative stuff about Shibazis. Chef Paco's boyfriend gonna show up and defend his honor.

7eubk.jpg

You guys better be careful saying negative stuff about Shibazis. Chef Paco's boyfriend gonna show up and defend his honor.

7eubk.jpg
Screenshot_20230319-211352.png

God be damned. I haven't read into much of the drama above - nor do I intend to - but seeing someone be this persona non grata is... interesting to say the least.

That being said, does anyone have experience with Sugimoto OMS and non-OMS? To my understanding the steel is a tad different (unless that has changed or I'm misinformed) and so I'm curious on that. (Previous threads I've found haven't talked up on the cutting or steel difference if any, only F&F.) The cheapest OMS I've found is right in custom territory and so I'm thinking of just picking up a SF4030 big 'kiri instead.

Good, good. I thought you were going to say to "respect Chef Panko's authoriti!!"
Ironically, it auto corrected to Pablo and I thought it would be funny to leave it. But I’m pretty sure I corrected it, and I think it must of auto corrected again. I guess Chef Pablo has spoken. I really appreciate Chef Pablo’s reviews on cleavers and canned refried beans. He once worked in a Mexican restaurant… as a dishwasher.

Chef Panko takes the same approach with the Shibazi f/208 as he does with the other Chinese cleavers he reviews--including several others by Shibazi: he goes through his protocol. He makes recommendations for pros and home cooks. The Shibazi f/208 has been reviewed and even compared by home cooks like me--and rated by more than 1000 on AMAZON. Chef Panko is just more professional and uses the same protocol on each cleaver.

He doesn't recommend a "best," but he does identify those he considers good ones.

What did you expect?

Only a Japanese native will ever get it right. In the last few months, USC has been asked to participate in a student exchange in which Americans would get their degree at the Japanese University--with all classes taught in English. Although the USC Dean is over there right now, it's almost certain that USC won't participate. The reason: even with classes taught in Englsh, no Americans would be willing to participate.

I'm working right now with three Japanese natives seeking an advanced degree over here. When we meet, my collaborator serves as a go between. Crossing that language bridge either way is at best a work in progress.
The highlighted statement, highlights your ridiculous, out of touch, gibberish that has most people nauseated by your comments.

God be damned. I haven't read into much of the drama above - nor do I intend to - but seeing someone be this persona non grata is... interesting to say the least.

That being said, does anyone have experience with Sugimoto OMS and non-OMS? To my understanding the steel is a tad different (unless that has changed or I'm misinformed) and so I'm curious on that. (Previous threads I've found haven't talked up on the cutting or steel difference if any, only F&F.) The cheapest OMS I've found is right in custom territory and so I'm thinking of just picking up a SF4030 big 'kiri instead.
Not sure, tho some old post on CKTG forum said the OMS is by their master craftsman, so I guess the same difference between Muteki and Master Smith?
Anyway Hocho has them for pretty good price, I dont like Hocho but the prices are the lowest I've see, even cheaper then Sugimoto direct.
https://www.hocho-knife.com/brands/...ing-knife-220x110mm-prime-quality-oms-6-4106/https://www.hocho-knife.com/brands/...chefs-chinese-cooking-knife-220x110mm-6-4006/OMS direct cost around $600 without shipping
https://www.sugimoto-hamono.com/e/shop-list/?pid=1472154582-857977&mca=4&ca=1469390821-988755

Not sure, tho some old post on CKTG forum said the OMS is by their master craftsman, so I guess the same difference between Muteki and Master Smith?
Anyway Hocho has them for pretty good price, I dont like Hocho but the prices are the lowest I've see, even cheaper then Sugimoto direct.
https://www.hocho-knife.com/brands/...ing-knife-220x110mm-prime-quality-oms-6-4106/https://www.hocho-knife.com/brands/...chefs-chinese-cooking-knife-220x110mm-6-4006/OMS direct cost around $600 without shipping
https://www.sugimoto-hamono.com/e/shop-list/?pid=1472154582-857977&mca=4&ca=1469390821-988755
With their SS23T code you are looking around $499, still not cheap tho

Asked a friend, he said OMS is blue #2.
Can you ask how he heard this? I’ve messaged Sugimoto a few times about different things and they really won’t say anything about steel type except calling it “pure Japanese ore” or some other wording of the same message. I’ve only been able to find that the OMS has the nicer diagonal brushed finish, ebony handle, fancier kanji and lettering on the backside and comes with a leather sheath. Some people have said it feels more “handmade”, but I don’t know if that means different geometry or HT compared to the regular Sugimoto. I really want one though, they look so sleek.
Home Butcher put up some new VG10 cleavers. Definitely on the small side.

https://homebutcher.com/collections...oducts/hatsukokoro-vg10-175mm-chinese-cleaver
I’m pretty sure it’s an OEM Tojiro. Needs a little thinning OOTB, but very practical. I have the full sized ones, more of a bruiser than finesse cleaver, but very good for the price.

Yep!

I actually rather like my first one tbh; cost 12 quid, and the f&f on that one was excellent - significantly better than CCK or LT at a fraction of the cost.

The only thing, as you say, was that ootb it was very fat bte. And for 99% of the general public that probably would count as a significant problem. I just went to town on the thinning and it now cuts excellently, little bit more belly than any of my other caidao but I can't notice it in use.

It's only stainless knife I've ever had that I find myself reaching for on a semi regular basis.

IMG-5873.jpg

IMG-5926.jpg

So guys, Gesshin Ginga Stainless Cleaver will be the best option if I want SS ?

I just wish the handle was flush. And fat.

Precisely.

Flush = Cleaver
Neck = Nakiri.

We just need to summon @KAMON Knives and point that out to him....

It is effing gorgeous though.

I've recently been told by @JayS20 that flush is where it's at, but can someone pls explain the reasoning behind that to me? Is it just that all the cleavers are made like that, or is there an actual upside to it?

BTW @BillHanna - The handle is pretty fat. It looks small due to perspective and since the blade is so big *subtle flex 🤙*.

*edited due to tagging the wrong person.

Back