Before and After - Restoration

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe its interesting for someone who think his knife is done. You can save the most knives!

Before:
HVhSAPK.jpg

After:
R3v4SKQ.jpg

y4b46r3.jpg

Before:
ciEGa8N.jpg

After:

g7rbSQF.jpg

Only After Pic (Knife was totaly chiped and scratched):
fyTJZTa.jpg

Could you explain what it was you did to get those knives back into shape? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

Could you explain what it was you did to get those knives back into shape? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

Hello,
I must go to sleep now because its 0:30Am here in Germany :( but I will write a new post how easy it is.
It's unbelievable but the Damascus knife from last picture was fixed in less then half an hour of working time (without etching).
But I can tell you now "Hilti WFO 280" makes knifes great again in a few minutes.

Very nice work.

What can you tell me about the stone in the Santoku after pic?

Step1:
Remove dirt and rust with a rust eraser

Notification:
If rust is under the handle, remove it!

Step2:
Remove Chips with a water cooled grinding wheel (90° angle).

Step3:
3.1 Remove scratches with a sander. I tighten a sander up side down in a vise.
3.1 Beginning sanding with ~P240 water resistant sand paper and a few drops of water! Never use to much water! Take care there is no water inside elektrical parts!
3.2 If there is a similar scratch patern change paper do next grid! I go 240->400->600->800->1500->2000->3000->5000
Notification: P2000 = ~8000 japanese stone
3.3 polish with chrom metall polish

Step4:
sharpening -> finish

Notification:
If you have a damascus knife you must etch it after sanding and before the polish paste. Maybe i make a video next time.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, did you have to use multiple sheets of each grit sandpaper for the misono restoration, or was one sheet at each grit sufficient? I am going out to buy sandpaper in that grit progression today.

Step1:
Remove dirt and rust with a rust eraser

Notification:
If rust is under the handle, remove it!

Step2:
Remove Chips with a water cooled grinding wheel (90° angle).

Step3:
3.1 Remove scratches with a sander. I tighten a sander up side down in a vise.
3.1 Beginning sanding with ~P240 water resistant sand paper and a few drops of water! Never use to much water! Take care there is no water inside elektrical parts!
3.2 If there is a similar scratch patern change paper do next grid! I go 240->400->600->800->1500->2000->3000->5000
Notification: P2000 = ~8000 japanese stone
3.3 polish with chrom metall polish

Step4:
sharpening -> finish

Notification:
If you have a damascus knife you must etch it after sanding and before the polish paste. Maybe i make a video next time.

A newbie question: Is this general process affect the heat treatment?

As a matter of fact, I was just down in the workshop taking a knife through the progression. It was a knife that I thinned on some pretty coarse stones. Unfortunately, I moved off of the coarser paper a little early. I didn't see some faint scratches that didn't sand out, until after I got to 1000. So I will have to start on it again on my next day off. Despite the faint scratches, it still looks much better. In fact, only I would really notice them. Still going to use the blade at work tomorrow.

I can tell this technique is going to help me bring a few of my knives back life. Thank you for posting it!

Oh nice :) Do you have a before and after picture? If you have deep scratches start with lower grit (~240). If you practice this method two or three times you will get a 100% perfekt result.

I didnt take a before, but I will on my next project. I did some thinning on a Tadatsuna Inox. In fact, I regret not taking a choil shot before the thinning. It had a nice sharp edge but had a noticable shoulder right behind the edge. I spent hours trying to ease that. This will be my next polishing project.

I have a hobby belt sander from Peugeot and tryed it. It´s very dangerous for your knife. You have only ~3 seconds for thinning and then you must cool it down in water. i don´t recommend this method with high price knives.
But with the sander it stays cool.

Last edited:
Back