Bent blade - maybe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmccurtis

Reaction score
So I'm a little worried my KS gyuto might be warped. When I place it right side down and press the heel flush with the surface, the tip is elevated by 1-2mm, starting right about where the blade curves up to the tip. Sighting down the blade, though, I can't see a bend, and placed left side down it's pretty much flat to the surface. Does anyone think I have anything to worry about? My thinking is that could be the result of an asymmetric grind, with more distal taper ground into the right hand face than the left. I do also sharpen it quite asymmetrically, which could contribute. If it is bent, is there much I could do without a heat treat cycle?

If it doesn't bother you when you sharpen or cut, I wouldn't worry about it. A slight bend is pretty common. You can straighten straighten it but it won't be doing your blade any favors.

fixing without heat treat cycling is a pretty common skill among knife makers and sharpeners in japan... bends will cause trouble with sharpening more than cutting

You can examine your blade to see if there is a bent. A good way to do it is to examine the edge under a bright light (bring edge to your eye level). You should see the warped section.

The warpage won't affect cutting performance much, but when you sharpen your knife, you should be mindful of that spot.

M

After looking at my ks, I agree with Benuser; you are probably seeing the combination of convexing, distal taper, sharpening. If you are sighting along the edge and it is straight, I don't think you have a bend.

Thanks everyone, that corroborates what I thought. I've only handled one KS besides my own, and I didn't think to compare the two when I had the chance.

Thanks everyone, that corroborates what I thought. I've only handled one KS besides my own, and I didn't think to compare the two when I had the chance.

So I took a detailed look at KS tonight and discovered an interesting thing - the distal taper is formed on the right side only, so as others have mentioned, the tip area will go up, when you press on the heel, when the knife is on the right side.

I also took a good look at the edge - pretty darn straight. Overall, a good knife, though I think a little higher convex would have made it even better.

M

Back