Bent stock steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seffers93

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

Just wondering where you stock removal guys get your steel? I’ve noticed most of the bars I have are bent a little. Not sure if they came that way or if it happens over time somehow? I guess I’m not sure if asking for steel to be granite-surface-flat upon arrival is reasonable or not? I guess I’ll just to heat it up and clamp it between some angle iron before I grind out profiles!

If you don't buy ground flat stock. Cut up strip steels are often going to be a little bent. But in knifemaking you're going to have to learn straightening anyway so don't stress about it, it's annealed soft steel, just straighten it up. You will very often find yourself straightening before profiling, during grinding, before, during and after heat treatment. Have fun :)

If you don't buy ground flat stock. Cut up strip steels are often going to be a little bent. But in knifemaking you're going to have to learn straightening anyway so don't stress about it, it's annealed soft steel, just straighten it up. You will very often find yourself straightening before profiling, during grinding, before, during and after heat treatment. Have fun :)

Thanks for the info! Good to know!

Thank you for the information. The issue I’ve had is when the steel is warped or twisted. When it’s bent like the video just in one direction, no problem. But when it’s bent and twisted I’ve had a heck of a time trying to straighten it out.

Thank you for the information. The issue I’ve had is when the steel is warped or twisted. When it’s bent like the video just in one direction, no problem. But when it’s bent and twisted I’ve had a heck of a time trying to straighten it out.
Sounds like hammer time then.

When you have a twist or propeller you have to find the high point or ridge line

It can help to visualize if you take some stiff paper or cardboard shaped like the blade and create your own twist to see the ridge line peak.

Thanks Robin and Harbeer, I think I have a better understanding now. The concept of stretching and compressing steel is a new one to me but it’s slowly sinking in.

Back