Bent tip on a Mac petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjg

Founding Member
Reaction score
My sister in law sent in her Mac knives to be sharpened. The one petty has a bent tip, maybe half an inch bend about an inch down the blade. I tried bending it back with some success. It still has a little to go but I'm worried about snapping the knife in half or bending it the other way.

Half inch bend, an inch up the tip? Yah, your concerns are legit.

May I inquire where she sent them to be sharpened?

I wasn't clear on that. I sharpen them for her. My brother brought them to me to sharpen. The petty already had the bend in it. I'm in Chicago and I do sharpen others knives as well.

And my concerns were fulfilled. I got most of the bend out. I used a towel to protect my hand and used a thick pad of paper as the surface to push against. Then I put it in a towel and into a vise to try to get the last of it out. Then it snapped about a quarter inch off the blade. I sharpened it and it's actually in much better shape than when I got it. Minus the tip.

All of my small Globals have bent tips from our cleaning lady trying to pry stuff out of cracks in various places. Once I started buying handmade knives this practice came to a screaming halt.

Back