Bent/Warped Nakiri? Thoughts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonG

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Watanabe Pro 180mm Nakiri. It looks to me like it is somewhat bent/warped when looking down the spine. When looking at the edge it is harder to tell. I reached out to Watanabe and he says this is normal for Kurouchi finish and isn’t a problem. I am concerned that over time as I sharpen more and more I’m going to run into the warped section. Thoughts? Pics below...
upload_2019-11-19_14-27-27.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-27-46.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-28-26.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-28-46.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-29-16.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-29-37.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-29-57.jpeg
upload_2019-11-19_14-30-32.jpeg

That's worse than any knife I've owned. You may be able to bend it back a bit by hand... I've done that on san mai knives with less extreme tip bends. But I don't have any experience with curvature that extreme.

That thing is jacked up. My Wat 180 is arrow straight. Send it back.

send it back.

straightening it will probably involve putting it in the oven and putting a negative bend on it with clamps.

That definitely needs to be changed. TBH it looks more like its almost u shaped.

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick responses. What is the best way to take pictures that show edge straightness. I found this hard to determine even by sight let alone to photograph it.
I have included the email from me to Watanabe(which included all pictures shown in my previous post). I also have included his email back to me.
I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one that was surprised by this. My first reaction was to trust Watanabe’s response given his reputation, especially on this forum.
Thank you all for your help.

upload_2019-11-20_10-12-24.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_10-13-37.png

To check the edge. Do what you did in last pic without the paper on the board. With handle overhanging the board, press on the heel with thumb and check for the deviation if any. Repeat on opposite side. Straight edges will show the same amount of deviation both sides.

To some degree Wat is correct. There can be some warpage during the HT and firing. However most times the big deviations are rectified using a hammer or a roller (I think this is how Kato does it as you can see the marks left on the Ku finish). But your blade is far from 'normal'.

I'm curious to see what the edge looks like. I wouldn't want to keep a crooked knife either (regardless of whether the edge is straight or not), because I don't think you should pay full price for something that shouldn't have been sold in the first place. (although it looks like @JasonG paid extra for an upgraded handle as well)

That being said, it looks like JasonG won't hear back from Watanabe until the end of this month - he posted an announcement on his website that he'll be away for a knife show in the US.

Sorry you have to deal with this. I hope it works out in the end

To some degree Wat is correct. There can be some warpage during the HT and firing. However most times the big deviations are rectified using a hammer or a roller (I think this is how Kato does it as you can see the marks left on the Ku finish). But your blade is far from 'normal'.

usually i'd guess they try to strighten them while the blades are still hot out of the quench or during tempering. I have seen some makers banging on them with hammers. This is very common.

when the knife is hot in the oven (during austenitizing) or whatever they use it takes veeery little to bend it. ask me how i know.

this blade however should not have gone out to a customer. CC should have caught it.

as always you are not judged by your good work, only your bad. if you want a good reputation, dont send out lemons.

San mai knives bend alot through all of the making process. Even during final grinding, so one needs to be on top of straightening them throughout.

Hi All,

Thanks again for being so quick to respond, this is all very helpful.
I have attempted to take pictures that show the edge straightness. Let me know what you think.

upload_2019-11-20_14-12-53.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-13-14.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-13-56.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-18-57.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-19-32.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-20-5.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-20-41.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-21-2.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-22-3.jpeg

upload_2019-11-20_14-22-24.jpeg

yeah its bent allright.

for more effect when you send this to watanabe make sure the tip is pointing upwards away from the stone.
you could also use the backside of that plate to not risk scratching the knife.
also try pushing the bevel to the plate so the edge touches the plate, so its obvious how much warped up the tip is.

Edge focus isn't good enough to be definitive. You will be the best judge. But from what I can tell the curvature is not as bad as the spine. But that would be enough for me get it replaced. I can overlook a lot of F&F issues (a prerequisite for anyone into TF) but overgrinds and poor linearity are deal breakers for me and enough to return.

try pushing the bevel to the plate so the edge touches the plate, so its obvious how much warped up the tip is.
This. But some sneaky makers will bend the tip back to make it 'appear' straight. Careful attention must be given along the entire edge.

Back