Bernal Cutlery abandoned sharpening projects auction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly does "*Bernal Cutlery is not responsible for items left over 90 days." mean? Do they make attempts to contact the owner?
I would think they would need to be clearer as the true owner could have legitimate reasons for leaving the knife longer than 90 days.

If you follow them on IG, they make it pretty clear that there have been many attempts over a long course of time -

If you have a sharpening order that has been with us for a few weeks (or few months) don’t worry.

If you have been contacted 14 times since 2019 best not hit that snooze button on our last call

I don't see anything on the ebay page linked from their IG account. Did they remove the auctions?

I don’t think they were doing anything shady at all. They made it very clear that they tried to contact everyone multiple times. I think they said the packages have been there for close to 2 years. The crazy part is that people paid these prices. I don’t think they intended for the auction prices to get so high.

I don’t think they were doing anything shady at all. They made it very clear that they tried to contact everyone multiple times. I think they said the packages have been there for close to 2 years. The crazy part is that people paid these prices. I don’t think they intended for the auction prices to get so high.
Yeah, imagine spending $412 on a Wusthof...

Yeah, imagine spending $412 on a Wusthof...

to be fair, if it were for MSF or to raise money for treatment for someone I knew, I would.

but the prices do reiterate to me we need to do away with loot boxes, gachas, the lottery, etc.

I’m so glad this thread came up. I’m still not sure where I stand on it as well.

I mean if they’re truly abandoned, why not just open them and sell them as is? The fkn drama is ridiculous. Almost wonder if they hedged their bets and knew that had a certain value to validate those bids? ALSO- why the disparity? Someone knows what’s in the one selling at 400+, or they (I hope) wouldn’t go at such a long shot gamble. Crazy. I’ve spent many days at Santa Anita calling odds, but this is just bizarre.

I’m so glad this thread came up. I’m still not sure where I stand on it as well.

I mean if they’re truly abandoned, why not just open them and sell them as is? The fkn drama is ridiculous. Almost wonder if they hedged their bets and knew that had a certain value to validate those bids? ALSO- why the disparity? Someone knows what’s in the one selling at 400+, or they (I hope) wouldn’t go at such a long shot gamble. Crazy. I’ve spent many days at Santa Anita calling odds, but this is just bizarre.
People are bored Greg.... or stupid

I really don't think they intended for the prices to go this high. When you call it a grab bag, that usually suggests its cheap and for fun. Even their instagram post phrased it in that way. Anyways, I've stopped by their shop several times, and they are good folks. I hope that this auction doesnt end up being too big of a headache for them. Worst case, they're out shipping cost for whatever cheap knives someone ended up paying way too much for (assuming ebay refunds the amount to the buyer).

I can see future headaches for Bernal Cutlery solved by them just skipping the headache of all the complaints or requests for refunds via eBay, and just donate them to a soup kitchen or shelter. I agree with everyone's sentiment, BC are great folks. I don't think they expected these prices.

I thought it would be like $20-30 a knife tops, and hope you get something useful. If they knew they might see $200/knife, they most likely would have taken individual pictures of each.

Lots of bids from accounts with Zero or very low feedback. Fishy to say the least, without pointing fingers.

The last time people questioned the ethics of a prominent maker, it led to someone getting banned and someone comparing KKF to the KKK. So now here we are... only this time it's a prominent vendor.

I'll get my popcorn ready :popcorn2:

Your willing to drop cash on a mystery knife... well that's your business...

I don't get it...but you can't fix stupid...

I believe there's no blame on the part of bernal cutlery...they have no control over the actions of people with more money than sense...some might luck out... most won't...

Take care

Jeff

There is a reason why the bidding starts at $5. It's because it is a high-risk mystery knife. You have no guarantee that the knife you buy is worth a high value. These are only used knives which were abandoned by their owners after they were sharpened. How many owners would abandon something especially valuable?
On the other hand, the risk is that although there is a bid from a buyer for Bernal, there is no guarantee that the successful bidder is actually someone who will follow through with the buy and be willing to take a big loss when the item turns out not to be within their expectation.

Here is what I see happening.
Interested party invests $x in unknown package. I see two likely outcomes to follow.
1. Unknown package contains a knife valued above the $x investment. Yay, investor comes out ahead.
2. Unknown package contains a knife valued below the $x investment. Oh well, time to file claim with Ebay/PayPay/Credit Card and get my money back. Investor is out nothing and Bernal has to deal with the mess.

Regarding (2) above, true, Ebay generally tends to side with the Buyer but there are specific reasons for return/refund, such as the received item not being as represented in the listing, either description or photos. Or received damaged.
Here, having purchased a "package" with no representation as to the contents, I have my doubts if just not liking the package contents would suffice as a reason for a return/refund. Could be tough to get if Seller disputes. Anyway, the whole thing is just weird to me. But I guess to each their own.

I agree with all these points stated above. I just can not believe that people bid that high. Take the 300-400 and buy a knife you actually want! Am I crazy? Haha. Plenty of great options with bernal with that kind of money.

One person on IG indicated that they purchased multiple knives from the sale. Madness.

edit: I only took a quick look, but I didn't notice any buyer winning multiple auctions... I wonder if the guy thought that there were multiple knives in each package? With the "grab bag" terminology, maybe many (most?) of the winners thought they were getting more than one knife? If so, eeeesh.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back