Bernal or Carbon?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Both in stock. Same price. Why one over the other? Do either have any coupon codes floating around, or run frequent sales I should wait for?

I’ve been in Bernal a couple of times and honestly couldn’t believe all the local cooks coming in and out for saya and sharpening service. They have a couple shops but the one in SF was super cool inside. Old timey. I really like what their doing over there. I really like carbon too and in general like their selection better,but haven't been there.

Well, this is all good to hear. I will probably skip waiting and just pull the trigger since businesses really can use the support these days. I guess I will look and see if either have anything other than the Kikomori nashiji I've been eyeing up to sway me one way or the other.

Thanks for the insight!

Live by Bernal in Oakland. I appreciate their staff, good people there. They're always friendly and they establish relationships with the local chefs and cooks.

I've ordered online at Carbon, no complaints. No tax is nice, but all things being equal, I'll always try to support Bernal.

Obviously I'm biased here.

Also made good experiences with both.
CarbonCo is a bit more popular I think, at least you will stumble upon them on r/chefknives right now, so my vote was for Bernal.
But you won't go wrong with either.

Beleive it or not, but being out of US, I have dealt wih Bernal, too. Very happy with the service, honest staff, responsive.
Would be glad to deal with them again.

Great experience with Bernal (non CONUS) as well, haven’t used Carbon yet but have heard great things

Can’t speak to Bernal but I have ordered two knives from Carbon during the pandemic. Their customer service has been great, even going the extra mile to send me several photos of specific knives to make sure I got the blade I preferred. I’ll order from them again without hesitation.

Ordered my Fuiji FM 210 W#2 from Bernal, came well packaged and reasonably timely. I don't know the variance in these blades by they listed it at 132g, and mine came in at 117g which is getting to be a significant difference. I'm happy with the transaction, but that difference in specs is enough that I will email to confirm before any next order.

These knives vary from one to one, so the specs of the one they tested for listing might be different from the one you receive. Some of my knives came with a different weight that is off by >10 gram as well.

These knives vary from one to one, so the specs of the one they tested for listing might be different from the one you receive. Some of my knives came with a different weight that is off by >10 gram as well.

I am aware of the possible difference in weight. It's just that I would've liked one at least at the spec weight as my FM is now almost identical to my HD2.

I am aware of the possible difference in weight. It's just that I would've liked one at least at the spec weight as my FM is now almost identical to my HD2.
Yea...I feel your pain. One of my Mazakis was listed as 255 gram but what I got weighs 268 gram. I let go of that knife after a week. My FM 240 weighs 170 gram which I like a lot. If it weighs 155 gram I might sell it as well.

Yea...I feel your pain. One of my Mazakis was listed as 255 gram but what I got weighs 268 gram. I let go of that knife after a week. My FM 240 weighs 170 gram which I like a lot. If it weighs 155 gram I might sell it as well.

Yeah, my HD2 was 121, my Fm was 117. Profile is nearly identical. Wasn't quite what I was expecting so I'm on the fence about keeping it.

My vote goes to Carbonknifeco, I have had many more dealings with Craig. But I think Bernal is good too.

My most recent package from Carbon, including two handles by Craig himself.
IMG_20200717_143612.jpg

One thing, for customers outside US like me, Carbon now has DHL shipping available at pretty reasonable rates 😏.

Both have been good to me.

We're fortunate in the states to have a handful of good and great retailers. For me JKI sets the standard, Bernal, CC, Korin, EE, are all very good. Want to try something from MTC but so many knives and so little time......

I've bought few times from CKC. Customer service is top, quick responses for questions and shipping to EU has been affordable, about half the cost comparing to few other retailers in US.

@daveb I bought a parer from EE once and they sent me a small petty. A step up I guess, but not what I wanted. They're response was to purchase the parer again, out of pocket, on back order, send the petty back and they would refund me for the petty when they received it. I enquired about return shipping, and they didn't respond. I ended up keeping the petty and buying an Ealy parer.

I have made a purchase or two over the years from EE again, but have hesitated.

BTW all, I made the purchase for a 240mm Kikumori nashiji from Carbon Co. this morning. It's like a Takeda and a nashiji Tanaka had a baby. How can you go wrong?

Thanks all!

Back