Besides blades what other kitchen tools do you heavily research?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whetted_edge

Reaction score
Personally I am just a home cook but often find myself looking at plating tools that I will never use lol. I do enjoy looking at resturant supply stores that i have zero need for also. Dont even get me started on sharpening stones my true love.

I'm about to start researching refrigerators, time for the current one to go. The current one is basic, only about 17 years old, but it stopped working/cooling a few weeks ago, light still came on, but none of the important work. Unplugging it and plugging it back in got it going again, but I don't trust it now. Plus, I've really been waiting 17 years for more reason to replace it with one with more features, even though that will make me involve a plumber too, but it's time. I found out recently that our electric company will haul away the old one for free and give us like 50 bucks to replace it with an energy efficient modern unit, two more good reasons! There now might even be more incentive with Biden's new bill, haven't looked into that yet.

I'm about to start researching refrigerators, time for the current one to go. The current one is basic, only about 17 years old, but it stopped working/cooling a few weeks ago, light still came on, but none of the important work. Unplugging it and plugging it back in got it going again, but I don't trust it now. Plus, I've really been waiting 17 years for more reason to replace it with one with more features, even though that will make me involve a plumber too, but it's time. I found out recently that our electric company will haul away the old one for free and give us like 50 bucks to replace it with an energy efficient modern unit, two more good reasons! There now might even be more incentive with Biden's new bill, haven't looked into that yet.
I recently went through some fridge research. We just moved and the fridge in the new house had a bottom drawer freezer. My kids never seemed to be able to close it properly, which led to water all over the floor multiple times a week, and with wood floors that was bad news. Plus, I can't stand those bottom drawer freezers. Very difficult to keep organized. I also can't stand French door ones that have the freezer on the whole left side because the fridge becomes so narrow and I need to be able to put a half sheet pan in the fridge. The answer was a four door unit. Basically the top is a full width French door fridge and the bottom has two separate zones. Since we have a garage freezer we use half of the bottom as a freezer and the other half is set up as a fridge (it is variable temp, can be fridge or freezer) just for fruit and veg. Having a dedicated space for fruit and veg has made produce last much longer as it doesn't get opened and closed all day. From research there are basically three options for four door units, Samsung, whirlpool and Hisense. The Samsung was an inch too tall for the space I had, so went with Hisense. I was weary of buying a budget Chinese brand, but we've had it 6 months and it has been great. I really like it a lot.

Spatulas for stirring. The shape and size really matters. I want to be able to stir and scrape the whole bottom of the pan, and not have to hold it straight up to do that. I want something large and strong for stirring a huge batch of chili, and I want other sizes for other sorts of things. And I want it to feel good in the hand. Normally, that means a wood handle, but I have to admit that the Hasegawa ones, with their fine lines, are a pleasure to hold, as well as being impervious to heat and the dishwasher. Only drawback is cost.

Spatulas for stirring. The shape and size really matters. I want to be able to stir and scrape the whole bottom of the pan, and not have to hold it straight up to do that. I want something large and strong for stirring a huge batch of chili, and I want other sizes for other sorts of things. And I want it to feel good in the hand. Normally, that means a wood handle, but I have to admit that the Hasegawa ones, with their fine lines, are a pleasure to hold, as well as being impervious to heat and the dishwasher. Only drawback is cost.
Have you ever checked out a GIR spoonula?? Blew my freaking mind! I have a few of them now.

I only research appliances when I need to buy one. Funny story though - our dishwasher died last year. So I did some research and settled on Bosch. Did more research on all the Bosch models and picked out what I wanted.

Then I go to the local appliance store and find out it’s a one year wait for a Bosch. And my 2nd choice of Miele, also a one year wait. Get on Home Depot’s website, all Bosch’s out of stock in a 100 mile radius…. except for one unit. Boom, “pay now”, I’ll take it. All that research just so I could jump on the one available unit in inventory. 🤣

Definitely stones and cutting boards, but I guess those are also common in a place like this 😅.

Pans and cooking surfaces? Love the Baking Steel products

Spoons.
Never heard of a lady Hamilton before here, nor a Kunz. Never realized the need to identify spoons by the hole in the handle. Roux spoons? ***. Quenelle spoons, demitasse spoon, Devin Thomas damascus spoons, sharpening spoons, iced tea spoons, Korean spoons. Never realized how much I like particular spoon and also how many I need.

Researching cooking pans on cheftalk is what eventually led me here. Like almost immediately after “The Great BF divide”

Grills/Smokers - I have too many, will buy more in the future and always researching and learning about stuff. Even ones I would never plan to buy. All my family and friends call when they want to get a new gas grill and I help them through the process, even though I don't use a gas grill at all.

Pretty much nothing gets bought here without an unhealthy amount of deliberation and investigation, but next to knife related stuff it's pans that really stands out.
Another thing I dove into quite deeply several times is simply reorganizing my kitchen and everything in it to optimize for efficiency.

Pretty much nothing gets bought here without an unhealthy amount of deliberation and investigation, but next to knife related stuff it's pans that really stands out.
Another thing I dove into quite deeply several times is simply reorganizing my kitchen and everything in it to optimize for efficiency.

I’ve been thinking about this too lately. What were your biggest takeaways/learning points from your experience reorganising everything?

More general:

-Optimize for your OWN way of cooking. Organization / kitchen layout guides and advice can be useful for some inspiration or a starting point but don't take it for gospel. For example the classical kitchen triangle (stove, sink, refrigerator) is for me actually rather irrelevant; I rarely boil in water nor do I wash my produce so the sink location is irrelevant and I usually take out of the fridge all at once at the start so even the fridge location doesn't really matter. For me what's far more relevant is stove/prep space/garbage.... But everyone has their own ways of cooking.

-IMO it's all about optimizing so that the stuff you use the most is at the places you reach the easiest. I sort of mentally categorize into how easy I can reach certain places (since I'm tall and have crap knees & back that means nut-to-nipple height, and the closer to the stove the better). Stuff that's taking up prime real estate but I don't find myself using that much? It gets degraded to places like cabinets, or worse, the storage room. If I can't remember the last time I used it I throw it in the basement storage, and if it doesn't get taken out in a few years I'll just throw it out eventually.

-Categorizing stuff can help (for example I have a basket with all my measuring things, one with starches, one with baking molds, etc). If you're not blessed with a ton of drawers, baskets you can slide on and off the shelves are your friend.

-At this point I'm also trying to consolidate on my 'favorites' for stuff like utensils... buying some more of what I like and essentially canning the rest. All stuff that doesn't get used is just a waste of space. Big flowerpots are actually great for utensils.

-If you have a random mess of food storage containers and for example baking trays in all different sizes they usually don't stack for crap. If you're willing to spend a bit you can usually gain a lot of tidyness and some space here by getting a whole bunch of the same ones so they at least stack properly.

-Usually it makes sense to 'zone', like having both a clean and dirty area on one side of the sink, a prep area with cutting board and hopefully a bit of extra produce / bowls, and if you're lucky enough to have more space a temporary 'parking spot' for prep, ingredients, whatever - but essentially a spot you make an effort to keep empty so that if you NEED space you don't have to empty out space first. You can just experiment with shuffling these around in your kitchen to see how it works and you'll pretty quickly figure out what works and what doesn't. In my case for example I have a 180x120 cm kitchen island, yet I found that I still gravitate towards the 100x60 cm space next to my stove for prep simply because it's far easier to prep and cook at the same time when you're standing next to your stove instead of with your back towards it.

-Not so much a problem in my kitchen but in most other people's kitchen that bugs the hell out of me: get rid of all the non-cooking junk that is cluttering up countertops. Whether it's appliances that never get used, administration, or just decoration... I've seen too many kitchens where this stuff is just taking up half the counter-top space. Figure out some other place for this stuff.

-It's an iterative process... change things and see what works and what doesn't. Then live with it for a few months or a year and then re-evaluate. I'm currently basically at v5 of my kitchen, with barely any extra money spent. People often just do the whole reorg once they settle in or reorganize a kitchen and then never touch it again.

Some rather specific things:
-Open shelving below countertop height is not ideal; the lower 2-3 shelves get noticably more dirty than the top ones (I'm using some old book cases in my kitchen as cheap shelving). If I ever were to replace the bunch I'd probably get some 2m tall kitchen cabinet and put doors or drawers in the bottom.
-Still a huge fan of open shelves since they're just so convenient to grab things out of. Never had issues with things getting dirty as long as you put stuff in it that at least sees regular use. I have all my pans in an open cabinet and it allowed me to store everything without having to nest any pans, so I can just grab whatever I want without having to unstack. You do want to pay attention to what you put in there and how you lay it out so it at least looks somewhat balanced aesthethically. If you want to use it for food storage get some jars or containers that at least look the same. Same with stuff like glassware or plates; it only works if you have large amounts of similar things, otherwise it's going to look too busy.
-Storing things on top of cabinets is a last resort. I used to keep my spices on top of my cabinets but after a few years I gave up on it because all the jars just got really dirty over time.

-And once again just for emphasis: get rid of all the stuff you don't find yourself using, or at least downgrade its location. You don't have to throw it away, but at least make sure it's not taking up prime space.

I’ve been thinking about this too lately. What were your biggest takeaways/learning points from your experience reorganising everything?

The number one thing for me was getting my herbs/spices and cooking liquids (soy, vinegars, chili oil, etc.) out onto the counter and right where I cook. I had to do a fair bit of rearranging and some purging to free up the space on my small counter top but it was the basis for everything that came after. A nice spice rack with standardized, clear, labeled jars and a couple small shelves to help with the liquids but a huge difference. Now everything is right at arm's reach.

And, as @Jovidah said, organizing with the idea of "frequently used" closest and easiest to get to.

Last edited:
Old ramen noodle machines made by Ono, kezuriki's with fat kannas which I cannot afford, preferably old ones, but some f the modern ones look great.

Attachments

• tempImageSheI1n.png
    tempImageSheI1n.png
    14.4 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagelJqYz6.png
    tempImagelJqYz6.png
    13.6 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImage9baCPi.png
    tempImage9baCPi.png
    14.2 MB · Views: 0
The number one thing for me was getting my herbs/spices and cooking liquids (soy, vinegars, chili oil, etc.) out onto the counter and right where I cook. I had to do a fair bit of rearranging and some purging to free up the space on my small counter top but it was the basis for everything that came after. A nice spice rack with standardized, clear, labeled jars and a couple small shelves to help with the liquids but a huge difference. Now everything is right at arm's reach.

And, as @Jovidah said, organizing with the idea of "frequently used" closest and easiest to get to.
Yeah it's nice to have at least some space near the stove for the most used things; oils, salt & pepper, and most used herbs & spices. The balancing trick is to not overdo it, because then you end up with your whole spice rack cluttering up your countertop again. :D
This one of those spots where adding racks / shelves on the wall can help to create some extra space. In general, if you have a lot of empty wall space, adding wall mounted racks / shelves is one of the most affordable ways to create extra storage, though you have to keep in mind that all the caveats of open shelving apply.
Standardized bottles and jars (can just get them all on the cheap at ikea) work wonders in making that little arrangement of oils and spices not look like a mess. For a nice upgrade, buy some of those pouring spout inserts and put those on your oil bottles.
c164_ausimage.jpg

There wisks are also nice . I have the mini and large. I didn't like there cake spat but the wife did.
There are some Kitchen Aid tools that I'm replacing, and I like the seamless design that GIR offers. I bought some Matfer Bougeat Exoglass, but they are very stiff. Good for some things, but limited.

I did buy a 13.75, so kind of big, De Buyer whisk that I really like for making roux that I stir for a long time. Very comfortable. Anyway, I'm glad you turned me onto GIR!

Couple kitchen things I researched but never made a jump.
- Induction Range
- Copper pans/pots

Otherwise, I pretty much research any significant purchase

I'm still hunting a board scraper that lasts
Can you elaborate? Like a bench scraper or something else? I can't imagine wearing through a typical restaurant supply bench scraper within the lifetime of the galaxy. But if you mean a scraper that fixes the wood surface of a cutting board then I would recommend trying a small bench plane or a card scraper. Much better than the "tools" they sell for this purpose at some of the knife stores. I built a butcher block basment work bench out of pallet 2*4s. They were crooked and warped as hell and full of chips and saw marks and nail holes. I used the remnants of a bunch of a different epoxies and wood glues to fill in the gaps and then leveled and smoothed it with a small bench plane and a card scraper. It took a little while, but worked so much better than sanding. I don't really believe in reconditioning cutting boards very often besides mineral oil. They are pretty self healing. And I have some that have been in daily use for more than fifteen years. But if I did want to I would use a small bench plane and a card scraper.

@Bert2368 had a great post a few years ago about this which is where I got the idea.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-sandpaper-to-maintain-a-cutting-board.40178/

Lots of things….most things.
Over the cliff and down the rabbit hole I go….

Copper cookware:
Copper is amazing to cook on. It’s like comparing a sharp Japanese knife to a standard European one. It can blow you away. Copper (and silver) has the best heat distribution (it can shock you), is fast and responsive to changes in heat, can be non stick, and is a joy to cook with. You can bargain hunt used gear, quality matters more than age. It’s worth looking into. I’m happy to share more if anyone wants. :)

Cast iron cookware:
If copper cookware is having a sports car, cast iron is having a truck. Both are great, complement each other nicely, and are useful for different things. Carbon steel can work here too.
Note: The myth of cast iron having even heat distribution needs to end. Cast iron and carbon steel have terrible heat distribution, what they have is good heat retention.

Stove/Ranges:
Look into nicer ranges, and you may want one too. But be warned, they get expensive fast, and offer the low value for the money. Similar to expensive fridges. However they can be absolutely beautiful to look at, some are like art, and can be the primary feature in your kitchen.

Combi steam oven:
Great to use in the kitchen, and very useful. More useful than you might think. Research one and you also might want one too.

Food processors:
Often used, but typically forgotten. These can be really helpful. Making breadcrumbs, emulsions, hummus, pesto, pizza dough, etc. Robot Coupe make the high end commercial ones, Magimix is their home version. Breville can be good too. Cusinart on the affordable, but still worth buying end. A little digging here and you can figure out what you want.

Grills, BBQ, Smoker:
This is something a lot of us will like. I like using charcoal, and I love kamado’s: Green egg, KamadoJoe, etc. I have two green eggs now, but I will move to a Komodo Kamado one day. They are the best, by far. It’s not even a debate. They’re expensive, but you get what you pay for. A 21” or 23” is good for most. A forno is nice as a sidekick if you love to bake bread and pizza. You should go down this rabbit hole.

Plating:
Just getting more into serious plating. So tweezers, chop sticks, spoons, etc… if someone has a good guide, please post or share.

Sideline stuff:

Coffee and espresso.
Surprisingly more complex than you would think. Like cooking, this is a fun hobby, and great to share with friends. With pour over, you can do high end for reasonable money. Get a good grinder, that is key. Research Bunzilla. Good espresso gear is always going to be pricey, no way around it. You can find good used gear though. For a bonus round, get into lever espresso machines.

Beer:
Home brewing can be a great hobby. Lots of fun, goes well with food, and is really social to share with friends. You can spend your life researching, experimenting trying different microbrews. Hint: Look into White labs. The yeasts you use are your secret weapon.

Wine:
We all know this is a deep rabbit hole, which can get expensive fast, but it doesn’t have too. Learn about wines, start trying things, and you can find something enjoyable for $10-$20. Once you find something affordable you really like, get a decent wine cooler, and age of them for 3 to 5 years (or whatever is best for that wine). They’ll get even better. Some years are better than others, a large enough wine cooler also lets you skip the bad years. I’m barely scratching the surface here, I’m still an amateur. Okay, this is really kitchen gear, but it augments the kitchen.

Bonus, to complement to kitchen tools:

Grow your own food:
Try growing some of your own herbs and veggies for the quality, freshness, and enjoyment of doing so. :) Raised beds, green house, aquaponics, permaculture (even small scale backward sized), chickens, rabbits, etc. There are so many ways to do it. I still had a small herb garden when I lived in a condo. Great food starts with great ingredients.

Hmm, there is probably more I am forgetting. I love food and cooking.

Last edited:
Back