Best 5000-6000 grit splash and go

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by crlums, Mar 26, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 26, 2020 #1

crlums

crlums

crlums

It's been a while since I posted, but with some unexpected work from home time I've been working on my sharpening game.

I want to upgrade my finisher and am looking for something in the 5000-6000 grit range that is splash and go. Currently I use a shapton pro 2000 and often just finish there. I also have a cheap old 1000/6000 combo stone and have been playing with more recently. I'll be using this for SG2, Blue 2, and Ginsan steels and want something utilitarian that works well for all. Edge quality is my main goal and I don't focus much on polishing, contrast, or aesthetics.

I've read good things about the gesshin 6000 splash and go and the JNS 6000. The gesshin is out of stock and the JNS becomes a bit expensive the US to the the US. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. Mar 26, 2020 #2

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Gesshin 6k is an awesome stone. Get it and you'll have no regrets. Don't know if JKI is still taking orders during covid-19, though...

MowgFace likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2020 #3
    Like the Gesshin a lot. Like the JNS stone as well. Either would suit you well.

Sometimes with JNS you just have to throw something else in your cart to meet the free shipping threshold. He's out of shanks right now but this is always a favorite of mine to nudge the cart.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-small-kurouchi-75mm/

4. Mar 26, 2020 #4

vk2109

vk2109

vk2109

5. Mar 26, 2020 #5

refcast

refcast

refcast

Supporting Member

gesshin 6k . awesome polish is an extra on top of being a good stone

6. Mar 26, 2020 #6

crlums

crlums

crlums

Thanks all! Sounds like I'm headed in the right direction with both JNS or Gesshin 6k, possibly some others too. Ill put up a WTB and see whats out there.

7. Mar 26, 2020 #7

Steampunk

Steampunk

Steampunk

On your SG2 and Aogami #2 at least, the Gesshin 6K S&G is a really nice choice. It'll cut well, feel nice to use, and leave a nice edge... However, if you're expecting Shapton-type 'Splash & Go' performance from this, unfortunately this isn't this stone's forte. It's thirsty, and really, doesn't come alive until you perma-soak it.

There aren't a ton of 'true' S&G stones... I can confirm the lacquer sided ones from JNS & JKI are, Shapton Pro's and Glass Stones are, Naniwa Pro/Chosera's are cuspy (They need a few splashes)... There are a few others.

I hate to talk you out of a good stone, because the 6K S&G is peachy for your exact application (It's a little soft for the Ginsan I've tested on it at around 59-60 HRC, but if yours is tempered harder it might be a little easier to get a crisp edge freehand.). However, if true S&G is needed, then it's not your stone.

Because of the SG2, I'd actually look at the Shapton Glass 4K HR. If you like the feel of the 2K Pro, you'll like the feel of this stone. Because of how consistent Shapton's abrasives are, the edges they create start getting 'smooth' feeling a little sooner than some other brands. Stones like the Gesshin 6K S&G aren't graded quite as tightly based upon the scratch pattern, so have a little more bite for their grit.

If you're willing to start a perma-soaker collection, give the Gesshin a go.

I hope this helps...

- Steampunk

M1k3 likes this.
  8. Mar 26, 2020 #8

KingShapton

KingShapton

KingShapton

Shapton Glass HR 6000, it's an excellent stone. Scary sharp territory

9. Mar 26, 2020 #9

KingShapton

KingShapton

KingShapton

I have to add, I own and also like the Naniwa Super Stone 5000, a great polisher.

But the Shapton Glass 6000 makes a better, more aggressive edge.

Another option would be the Naniwa Hayabusa 4000. A little less grit, but very inexpensive and makes a very aggressive and great cutting edge for kitchen tasks.

And they are all true splash & go!

10. Mar 26, 2020 #10

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

You could combine the first two with the HC 6000 Glass, but I agree that Hayabusa is great for carbon knives and in general (but really shines on carbon) with this caveat, some people had serious cracks.

11. Mar 26, 2020 #11

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Do you permasoak the hayabusa?

12. Mar 26, 2020 #12

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

I never did this. Looks like it takes some water, some color change occurs right away, but that's about it. I have mine for several years now.

13. Mar 26, 2020 #13

KingShapton

KingShapton

KingShapton

I use the Hayabusa splash & go, I never soak it

14. Mar 26, 2020 #14

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I also use it as a splash and go, but I do let it soak for a couple of min before use.

15. Mar 27, 2020 at 3:42 AM #15

Simme

Simme

Simme

I think the arashiyama is a really great stone. It is advertised as s&g but I have always permasoaked mine. Nice balance of toothy VS polished on edges and can be used to polish bevels aswell.

16. Mar 27, 2020 at 4:15 AM #16

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Permasoak mine also.

17. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:02 AM #17

zizirex

zizirex

zizirex

I like Morihei 6k, it's splash and go and better than Arashiyama. Cuts faster, better contrast and polish, and slightly toothier than Arashiyama on the edge. I want to try Hayabusa but I also want Morihei 4K and Suehiro Ouka 3K. So many stones but I don't have the money to buy everything.

18. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:21 AM #18

KingShapton

KingShapton

KingShapton

I know this problem very well from my own experience.

Believe me, with a little patience and time you will try out and own many different stones.

And one day you will find that you don't need most of them at all, because you suddenly realize which stones are your favorites.

But until then it's a long and expensive way ... but lots of fun!

childermass and M1k3 like this.
  19. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:38 PM #19

crlums

crlums

crlums

Thanks for all the info everyone. I ended up posting a WTB and found a JNS 6000 at a good price. I'll give that one a try but will likely try a few of the others mentioned in this thread eventually.

20. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:44 PM #20

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Hayabusa produces an absolute killer edge easy. It’s a cheap stone and it loads pretty quick though.
    What’s weird is that I think my shapton 1k does a better job dressing the stone than my atoma 140

21. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:44 PM #21

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

Sigma Power Ceramic 6k, AKA jinzo renge suita. It's hard and dense yet feels soft and creamy, also very dish resistant and fast. The price is reasonable as well.

22. Mar 27, 2020 at 9:25 PM #22

KO88

KO88

KO88

where can I purchase it?

Also how quickly does it load up? Is it suitable (good) to use it on razors? True splash&go?

23. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:17 PM #23
  24. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:29 PM #24

inferno

inferno

inferno

i have the 6k shapton glass HC gray colored. and its quite good. faster than one might think. and creates a good polish. almost 8-10k polish. also leaves good bite. imo.

its cheap, it works, its good, its very slow wearing, its s&g.

25. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:48 PM #25

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

It does load up a tiny bit but it's not a deal breaker imo. I have no idea how well suited it is for razors. It's almost a true splash and go. It absorbs just a little bit of water but it also quickly stops absorbing water. It's a matter of positives vs negatives and the positives outweigh the negatives with this stone.

26. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:51 PM #26

KO88

KO88

KO88

Ok. Thx. And how s the finish? What about the edge it gives?
    Thanks again :)

27. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:54 AM #27

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

The finish isn't up there with the best to be honest, it's very polished, but the edge is very good. On the plus side though, it's very easy to go from the Sigma to a true finisher.

KO88 likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted