Best benchmark or reference classic 240 mm wa-gyuto knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

chiffonodd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked a little in Korea.
Going drinking with Koreans reminds me of that thing where they let a spectator take a few passenger laps at a NASCAR event.
Both involve puke and feeling like you might die...
Or the tv journos who go up with the blue angels.

M1k3

Reaction score
Back when I was a TV journo I did a few laps in a speedway (dirt) car - 160km/h a few cm away from the large concrete was was AWESOME! A few years earlier I did some laps in a V8 Supercar (more NASCAResque), and it was more fun, and had much better G-forces, but for the feeling of speed, that wall you could reach out and touch was hard to beat...

ME TOO! BYE!

(I don't mind some seafood, but man, I hate fish. Which is a bummer when you're low-carb :confused:
That V8 supercar has got to be one of the best race series around. At least as a spectator in my opinion.

juice

knife knoob
Reaction score
That V8 supercar has got to be one of the best race series around. At least as a spectator in my opinion.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think it's as good now, given they all use the same base chassis ("Car Of The Future") but I get it from a development cost perspective. It's like knives - costs run wild if you do nothing to reign them in, and the very best gets priced out of reach and you have fewer people able to compete/be included. So they standardise somewhat, and we can all play in the mid-level 🙃

Reaction score
I worked a little in Korea.
Going drinking with Koreans reminds me of that thing where they let a spectator take a few passenger laps at a NASCAR event.
Both involve puke and feeling like you might die...
Visiting my family in Korea is hilariously fun. Most of my uncles drink soju for breakfast, I don't know how they're still alive. I'm headed down the same path though, so here's to hoping my liver has their titanium genetics.

josemartinlopez

Reaction score
Buy one laser, one middle weight and one heavy workhorse and use them.
I think I know where you're going.

Best "benchmark" from my gathering is prob Kono HD2. Others will be lighter, some others will have more heft, some will be thinner, some thicker, it's sorta stainless but will patina.

Newer Gengetsu or Amekiri will fit this role as will Tanaka Ginsen or Cladded Blue.

Not "average" knives by any means, just solid representatives.
Going back to this, think this answered my question quite well. Something in the middle, familiar and of solid quality like a Tanaka 240 gyuto (and others cited) would be a great "benchmark" for someone new to Japanese knives, and one can get the stainless or stainless clad versions to ease entry.