Best benchmark or reference classic 240 mm wa-gyuto knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I was a TV journo I did a few laps in a speedway (dirt) car - 160km/h a few cm away from the large concrete was was AWESOME! A few years earlier I did some laps in a V8 Supercar (more NASCAResque), and it was more fun, and had much better G-forces, but for the feeling of speed, that wall you could reach out and touch was hard to beat...

ME TOO! BYE!

(I don't mind some seafood, but man, I hate fish. Which is a bummer when you're low-carb :confused:
That V8 supercar has got to be one of the best race series around. At least as a spectator in my opinion.

That V8 supercar has got to be one of the best race series around. At least as a spectator in my opinion.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think it's as good now, given they all use the same base chassis ("Car Of The Future") but I get it from a development cost perspective. It's like knives - costs run wild if you do nothing to reign them in, and the very best gets priced out of reach and you have fewer people able to compete/be included. So they standardise somewhat, and we can all play in the mid-level 🙃

Dinner tonight

IMG_20200728_184019018.jpg

I worked a little in Korea.
Going drinking with Koreans reminds me of that thing where they let a spectator take a few passenger laps at a NASCAR event.
Both involve puke and feeling like you might die...
Visiting my family in Korea is hilariously fun. Most of my uncles drink soju for breakfast, I don't know how they're still alive. I'm headed down the same path though, so here's to hoping my liver has their titanium genetics.

Buy one laser, one middle weight and one heavy workhorse and use them.
I think I know where you're going.

Best "benchmark" from my gathering is prob Kono HD2. Others will be lighter, some others will have more heft, some will be thinner, some thicker, it's sorta stainless but will patina.

Newer Gengetsu or Amekiri will fit this role as will Tanaka Ginsen or Cladded Blue.

Not "average" knives by any means, just solid representatives.
Going back to this, think this answered my question quite well. Something in the middle, familiar and of solid quality like a Tanaka 240 gyuto (and others cited) would be a great "benchmark" for someone new to Japanese knives, and one can get the stainless or stainless clad versions to ease entry.

Probably nothing, this is just me catching up and rereading your advice a couple of times.

Yes, I read all your responses. If I didn't respond, it meant I read it more than once and was thinking about it and looking up the things referred to.

This is an impossible question to answer. Everyone's idea of what a benchmark knife or favorite knife is completely subjective.
I benchmark a knife off of the different characteristics I want. Those characteristics change as I try new knives and my taste's change. Half of the fun is buying knives or trying different knives is to find what's out there and what you like.

Take the general recommendations and what you think you want then go shopping. My only advice is you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a great knife especially when you don't know exactly what you are looking for yet

Going back to this, think this answered my question quite well. Something in the middle, familiar and of solid quality like a Tanaka 240 gyuto (and others cited) would be a great "benchmark" for someone new to Japanese knives, and one can get the stainless or stainless clad versions to ease entry.

Anything with the word "Best" in it is going to be very subjective, especially to those that don't agree with the opinion.

Well, "best benchmark" wouldn't mean best performing. Quite the opposite, it would mean something best in class that is familiar and accessible enough that it can be used as a reference point.

So the posts on this thread that didn't try to float a grail knife but tried to identify a "reference" knife for a certain profile or region were very helpful.

Trying to read threads on the forums for the first time, the most difficult things was finding a place to start. It's not second nature to you to understand the profile and region of each knife, and you have to look up all the names thrown around in every sentence. Silly as it sounds, even though this was surprising to @daveb, just mentally dividing knives into heavy/workhorse, middleweight and light/laser took a long time for me (note this mental split is not in the knife help form), and things were easier once I began thinking using that split.

If I were to think of benchmarks to try to understand these three groups for myself, after reading countless posts, I would pick something like:

Workhorse: Watanabe
Middleweight: Tanaka
Laser: Suisin Inox Honyaki (or Ashi Ginga)

Hell no! Yoshikane, Wakui, Hinoura, whatever, but something with consistent quality

Then maybe think about a reference knife per region. I thought @valgard has the right idea, and I'd pick (Mutsumi) Hinoura as an established and familiar name with unquestioned quality. Mazaki is too new and the profile is arguably not settled yet.

Back