Best blacksmiths for blue #2 heavy workhorses

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Renzwerkz

Reaction score
Besides the obvious like kato, shig, Toyama, and Watanabe, what other smiths produce some really good heavyweight workhorse gyutos made of blue #2?
Have you have a look or try Gihei..? It fits the profile that u mentioned, workhorse made of blue #2..

daniel_il

Reaction score
How would you compare and contrast the differences in your knives?
  • Tanaka ginsan
  • Yoshi skd
  • Hd2
  • Gihei
  • Watanabe
That Gihei looked better than I expected. 👍
Actually I forgot how good is the gihei, i didn't used it for a long time. after some stropping it became very sharp, and f&f is nothing fancy but spot on. i will give it more use in the following days, but it doesn't wedge for me although my carrots are that evil. i did cut some Brunoise and it preform very good.

• Tanaka ginsan - really like it for being tall(53mm), very good stainless, solid feel at 195gsm. almost a laser but feel more robust. profile is kind of unique with big sweep to the tip. very well balanced knife. best VFM?
  • Yoshi skd - best cutter, very flat knife, and maybe perfect f&f, skd steel almost a full stainless and easy to sharpen. on the other hand as a daily driver i prefer the feel of a more solid knife.
  • Hd2 - second best cutter by small margin. very good steel doesn't patina at all, takes a great very easy, feels very solid for a laser. not a fancy knife but very effective, was my pick for going into a pro kitchen.
  • Gihei - this feels like a tank, very flat and low tip(remind me a santoku), very good HT on the steel.
  • Watanabe - only got this a couple of weeks ago. steel is really special-super hard and toothy edge, 250gsm of joy. this thing is a unique beast. its just force through everything.
i would say the watanabe is my fav but its matter of taste.

also got gyutos from anryu, kono fujiyama, takeda and matsubara but i think they are less relevant to this case.

RockyBasel

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I just looked at my specs for the Togashi-tosa blue 2 Gyuto I have and it meets workhorse criteria;

260x 55 mm heel
291 gm

This one is a beauty!