Best Blue Steel Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

jacko9

Reaction score

ashy2classy

Reaction score
No vote for Mizuno? I've never had a Togashi/Tosa honyaki (although I have a blue #2 san-mai gyuto from the duo), but all the Mizuno blue #2 honyaki I've tried have been spectacular. *SHRUG*

OT: my Mizuno white #2 270mm honyaki gyuto just arrived today and I can't wait to give it a try.

ashy2classy

Reaction score
How does Watanabe/Toyama Honyaki steel perform compared to the San mai lines?
They're close, but I'd say the honyaki edges out the san-mai version. If you don't care about honyaki, the san-mai is a great performer for just over half the price.

chuck239

Reaction score
My favorite (and sadly only one left in my kit) is my Hide. I really do miss my Ittetsu (not blue though) and mizuno. There are some other great white steel ones too.

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
No vote for Mizuno? I've never had a Togashi/Tosa honyaki (although I have a blue #2 san-mai gyuto from the duo), but all the Mizuno blue #2 honyaki I've tried have been spectacular. *SHRUG*

OT: my Mizuno white #2 270mm honyaki gyuto just arrived today and I can't wait to give it a try.
The hamon was much, much nicer on the Mizuno but I give a clear cut advantage to Togashi on the steel, at least from my perspective.

jacko9

Reaction score

I guess I'm still learning about which blacksmith does well in honyaki - I should look at Mizuno