Best coarse stone for crap steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon I could have a crack at this in that timeframe on my Norton 140/400 combi, which is less than 1/10th of that price. I've done quite a lot of fairly big repair work with it, and the coarse side eats steel.

Now that I've got all the oil out of it I rather like it - it was messy as hell before. Still doesn't feel great, but does it's job.

I'll dig that knife outta the garbage and send it to ya if ya wanna make a video.

I'll dig that knife outta the garbage and send it to ya if ya wanna make a video.

Haha, was that your video? Good job! The 400 side of my stone certainly wouldn't be able to do that, but the coarse side always surprises me with how quick it is for repairs.

My new vote is the American mutt. At least for edge work. I've been using it to sharpen my pocket knife and my barbecue cleaver and cheapo knives at work. Be careful if you give the stone a three finger test. It will bite you. I was skeptical they actually used diamonds. No longer skeptical. I can't speak to thinning but for just edge work on crap stainless. This is real nice. 3x faster than crystolon with half as much pressure.

Back