Best knife for segmenting fruit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Cost is not a concern. Being not just functional but also beautiful is. The thing I do most often every day is segment citrus fruit, so as a result I'm happy to spend some money here (especially since my Matsumi Hinoura 210mm gyuto, despite being way too big for this, does a better job that my wusthof paring knife). It would need to be around a 5" blade for grapefruit. I have never used a single bevel knife for this, but I theorize that might be ideal (but feel free to shoot that down). What do you recommend?

Would ginsan be the closest stainless can get to giving me the same cutting feel as white? I was looking at some SKD and SLD Yoshikanes.

https://knifewear.com/products/takeda-nas-bunka-170mm
The food release is ideal in watery ingredients, and the wedging a non-issue. It’s tall and square, a better scooper/scraper than most pettys. Looks nice to me, but not everyone’s cup of tea.

Carbon, yes, but I haven’t had much in the way of edge degradation. It’s seen many an orange since touch up around a year ago. Oops.

I would agree with the above sentiments, stainless will be your friend. Sukenari Damascus would also be my suggestion.

I use a Yoshimi Kato VG10 nashiji 150mm petty for most of this type of work and it does great. I recommend it as a nothing-mind-blowing-everything-good stainless petty.

That said, if I had any business having a something higher end with a mostly overlapping Venn diagram, I’d love to have a western made stainless for citrus supremes, berries, peeling and slicing kiwi, etc. Two that recently made me stop when scrolling Coutelier are:

https://couteliernola.com/middleton-made-6-bunka-caribbean-burl/
https://couteliernola.com/jamison-chopp-aeb-l-funayuki-petty-140mm/
That Middleton Made Bunka in particular catch’s me because maybe the Venn diagrams with the Y. Kato petty overlap just a hair less. I know there is a lot of experience with both Jamison’s and Quinton’s work on the forum. I’m just coveting these two and wonder if anyone has in-hand experience for your use.

Some interesting suggestions here, but I should give more guidance.
1 - I like a wa handle
2 - since it would also do peeling duty it needs to be short in terms of blade height
3 - I'm thinking 130-150mm range
4 - forget nothing mind blowing, it's the thing I do more than anything else, so where others might splurge on a Gyuto this is my splurge piece.

This task is 100% a job for a stainless knife as it quickly kills any edge on a carbon. A Takada no Hamano ginsan petty would be my #1 choice based on your ideals above.

Takada no Hamono Silver #3 Suiboku Petty 135mm Rosewood Handle (Extra Thin) | Tosho Knife Arts | Tosho Knife Arts

Is this the one, or are there other variations? It looks like a pretty good choice.

For fruit I like using stainless knife. Maybe this Sukenari SG2 dammy petty knife?
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...roducts/sukenari-r2-sg2-damascus-petty-165-mm

I like that one too, any thoughts on how it compares to the Takada?

For fruit I like using stainless knife. Maybe this Sukenari SG2 dammy petty knife?
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...roducts/sukenari-r2-sg2-damascus-petty-165-mm

Before I posted here, this guy was on my short list - other than price, is there a reason to prefer that one? It looks like all the Yoshikanes are basically the same, just different steels depending if plain, hammered, or damascus?

Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives (epicedge.com)

Also, one other question - some makers take the approach of "this is handmade and traditional, and it should show," and some take the approach of "I am doing this slowly by hand so it can be finished as close to perfect as possible" Do any of the ones in the running here NOT follow the latter approach (I prefer the try to be perfectly finished approach)

Also, one other question - some makers take the approach of "this is handmade and traditional, and it should show," and some take the approach of "I am doing this slowly by hand so it can be finished as close to perfect as possible" Do any of the ones in the running here NOT follow the latter approach (I prefer the try to be perfectly finished approach)
I'd take what websites say about makers with a grain of salt, not that it's all untrue. Otherwise you'd believe that Hitohira has the 7 Ninja's working for them..

Before I posted here, this guy was on my short list - other than price, is there a reason to prefer that one? It looks like all the Yoshikanes are basically the same, just different steels depending if plain, hammered, or damascus?

Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives (epicedge.com)
Depends on which one you like aesthetically. Petty knives to me are all similar - as long as they are thin, pointy, sharpenable, and comfortable to hold.
IMHO, two biggest advantages of hand made knives compared to factory ones are 1. being thinner behind the edge (prevailing factory grinding machines might not be that precise) and 2. freedom in shaping knife (like dramatic distal taper, convex grind, etc.). For a petty I don’t think these 2 advantages matter that much, so my suggestion is to buy whatever please you the most aesthetically. Those mentioned ones are all from reputable makers in good steels (compared to your wusthof) so they should function as expected.

IMHO, two biggest advantages of hand made knives compared to factory ones are 1. being thinner behind the edge (prevailing factory grinding machines might not be that precise) and 2. freedom in shaping knife (like dramatic distal taper, convex grind, etc.). For a petty I don’t think these 2 advantages matter that much
won't it matter if you, say, like to slice very thin slices of strawberries to top your cereal with?

would it be more fun with a handmade petty, or will the difference be imperceptible?

would it be more fun with a handmade petty, or will the difference be imperceptible?
If depends on how bad the factory made knife is. If it’s a fatty Wusthof or some grocery store knife in ****** steel, sure there’s significant difference. But if it’s a seki made factory knife in decent steel like Shun, Zanmai, or Zkramer I don’t think it’s that discernible. These knives are thin enough behind the edge and thin enough overall for fruits. I had used a Zanmai to cut fruits for a year and found it satisfying. Considering my wife also uses my fruit knife I actually want it to be a little more chipping resistant.

Well put. I've just found a particular joy in using the small hand made knives (even a small nakiri with a mammoth handle) because you use them for intimate little tasks.

Konosuke GS+ 150 petty is my go-to for citrus supremes. Thin, easy to sharpen, basically stainless.

Maybe this should be a multi step process. You want performance, appearance, and specialized use. It sounds like you should order a custom but you don’t know the parameters. A few options:
- find a blade you like and order a custom handle.
- order a full custom. Most people go for custom gyutos, but I’m sure someone can recommend a maker skilled in a stainless petty. AEB-L pettty might work. You can let the maker design the details based on your needs.
- try something listed above and figure out what you want. Sell it then use it to spec a custom order to your liking. Not knowing what you want limits options with a custom order.

Something around 165-180. I’ve done a case of these with carbon and yes, I have to touch up the edge after, but it doesn’t dull it enough to stop working in the middle of the project. That said stainless is optimal, something like a Ginga 180 petty? And Sukenari would also be a good pick. For the aesthetic considerations how about a Ginsan by Nakagawa or Yamatsuka?

I’ve done this with a single bevel petty and found that it’s better for the peeling but worse for cutting the slices out between the membranes.

personally, i've moved from a 130mm to 150mm Yoshikane hammered Petty for all fruit and it is an absolute champ. This goes for any fruit that is smaller, nothing like a pineapple or papaya. Large Korean Pears, all sizes of oranges, dragonfruit, etc. Killer.

I’ve done this with a single bevel petty and found that it’s better for the peeling but worse for cutting the slices out between the membranes.

Good to know, saves me from chasing a theory I have no way to test without buying.

If depends on how bad the factory made knife is. If it’s a fatty Wusthof or some grocery store knife in ****** steel, sure there’s significant difference. But if it’s a seki made factory knife in decent steel like Shun, Zanmai, or Zkramer I don’t think it’s that discernible. These knives are thin enough behind the edge and thin enough overall for fruits. I had used a Zanmai to cut fruits for a year and found it satisfying. Considering my wife also uses my fruit knife I actually want it to be a little more chipping resistant.

I would take any wusthof classic thata housewife has been running through a dishwasher for several years over any Shun fresh off the sharpening stones. I really do not like Shuns at all.

Back