Best Knife Profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
Which knife you think has the best shape/profile?

State your cutting style.... Push cut, rocking, etc.

type of knife... gyuto? suji? etc...

Karlo

This is so subjective, that you will find one or two answers from every member.

For me, I like the profile, geometry and steel of the Ichimonji Matsuhide TKC for a 270 gyuto. But that's just me. I usually push cut with very little rocking unless mincing garlic or herbs.

As for suji, something thin with great steel like the TKC/Carbonext steel would be my preference.

I do quite a lot of rock chopping so I like a slightly rounder gyuto profile. The Hattori FH profile is perfect for me. I'm on the lookout for more knives with this profile and I'm gonna try a Watanabe next

I must say that that Masamoto profile looks great. Not that I need the temptation, but where are these honyaki ones sold. CKTG doesn't have them in. Is there another vendor?

k.

I must say that that Masamoto profile looks great. Not that I need the temptation, but where are these honyaki ones sold. CKTG doesn't have them in. Is there another vendor?

k.

The only other place i know of the to get hold of one is to ask Koki of japanesechefsknife to order you one.

I sort of agree with everyone in that I love the Masamoto geometry, they glide through things unlike any other knife I've used, and the very thin tip is nice, but I prefer gyutos with a more rounded profile. I actually rounded the heel of mine a little and I like it much better this way

Interesting that you round the heel. I just tried the Addict out and did not like the rounded heal at all. I felt like it wasted the back part of the blade.

k.

Sabatier 10" Konosuke 240mm are both nice for chefs knives.
The profile of the Sab is just about perfect... the grind and thickness could be much improved upon.

i push cut, with a little forward rock (in preparation for the next push) most of the time. for Gyutos, Shig and Mizuno work the best for me (they are different, but work about equally well).

I'm still a fan of my Takeda's profile. Lots of flat edge, and a tall profile that makes it easy to scoop - for a gyuto anyways ;) Of course, every one of his knives is slightly different, but I like the one I got!

I really don't seem to jive well with sujis, so I don't have any particular preference there.

I like my Takeda too. I also am liking this one:

PICT0458a.jpg

So far, for petty, Carter. For gyuto, konosuke, or Sab, but the Carters look great too.
I think my petty preference might change soon :)

Cadillac, I figured you'd cite the Takeda kiritsuke-gyuto ;)

I'm new to the J-knife scene but I prefer a flatter profile for most uses. I'm currently enjoying a 240mm Moritaka gyuto.

For me its a tie between Heiji 240 and a Kikuichimonji honyaki 270 gyuto. Both are amazing in their own ways but different knives all together. The Heiji is might with just about nothing wrong with it. I love the bevels...
The honyaki is incredible. Almost a suji but not quite. Gotta love a knife that is thick at the spine and tapers to almost invisible at the tip. I would imagine the Masamoto honyaki is pretty similar to this knife.
Gotta get my hands on one of those Masamoto.

Has anyone handled both the KS and the honyaki? Similarities? Differences?

hmmm

my kramer modeled after a shigefusa

love the masamoto as I am a push cutter/slicer kind person

konosuke white 1 fujiyama is nice for an all arouner

Cadillac, I figured you'd cite the Takeda kiritsuke-gyuto ;)

I think a double-bevel kiritsuke might have the best profile for my cutting style too... And if you want to get specific, here's what I think the ideal geometry looks like (going to place a custom order once I decide on the knife maker :D ) :

kiritsuke.jpg

Interesting that you round the heel. I just tried the Addict out and did not like the rounded heal at all. I felt like it wasted the back part of the blade.

It is funny that you say that. The way I cut, the back part of the blade is sorta wasted if it is flat. I push cut for some things and rock chop for a lot of things as well. I've tried to learn to push cut for everything but I find it very hard when the pressure is on

Here are my two favs. One by me modeled after Masamoto is still being tweaked, but Shigefusa profile is dead on. I also like Shigefusa geometry (including distal taper) better than that of Masamoto, particularly of Masamoto honyaki. The Shigefusa gyuto in the picture is not a custom thickness order, but I like it much better than than custom thickness batch I received. This is my reference knife now.

DSC_1746.jpg

M

Back