Best Knife Sharpener?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zizirex

Wabi-Sabi is a blessing in disguise.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I like to see all of your recommendations for the unsung heroes of the knife world. I know in Sakai, Sharpener is a different company than the blacksmith, and in Sanjo, Takefu and Tosa mostly they do it in-house either same as blacksmith or someone from the company.
Here are some of the best sharpener and blacksmith that I know who did a marvellous job on shaping the knife.

MoriHiro,
Nomura,
Tosa,
Tadokoro,
Shibata,
Hideo Takamura,
Makoto Kurosaki,
Hiroshi Ashi,
Mitsuaki Takada,

Any other names that I should know?

Last edited:
I think its Hiroshi Ashi if you're talking about Ashi Hamono. He definitely is a master bladesmith too, whereas Tosa and Morihiro are specialized sharpeners

Last edited:
I think its Hiroshi Ashi if you're talking about Ashi Hamono. He definitely is a master bladesmith too, whereas Tosa and Morihiro are specialized sharpeners
Do you (or anyone else) have more information on Tosa as a sharpener? Is Tosa an individual or does it refer to the Tosa region?

Myojin Naohito (Fujiyama FM)
Ivan @ Konosuke for his finishing work on the Kaiju

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 12.16.53 AM.png

original meme for reference
1610519251788.png

Hi, I like to see all of your recommendations for the unsung heroes of the knife world. I know in Sakai, Sharpener is a different company than the blacksmith, and in Sanjo, Takefu and Tosa mostly they do it in-house either same as blacksmith or someone from the company.
Here are some of the best sharpener and blacksmith that I know who did a marvellous job on shaping the knife.

MoriHiro,
Nomura,
Tosa,
Tadokoro,
Shibata,
Hideo Takamura,
Makoto Kurosaki,
Hiroshi Ashi,
Mitsuaki Takada,

How about the kasahara & Ino shinpei?

So how to choose the best sharpener if I use different knives during cooking?? Plz advice

MoriHiro,
Nomura,
Tosa,
Tadokoro,
Shibata,
Hideo Takamura,
Makoto Kurosaki,
Hiroshi Ashi,
Mitsuaki Takada,

Mitimoto nakazima

I always did wonder why nobody ever talks about the sharpener. When it comes to which knife is good, it is always the blacksmith that takes all the credit.

I always did wonder why nobody ever talks about the sharpener. When it comes to which knife is good, it is always the blacksmith that takes all the credit.
I'm new to knives and I can easily find knife information on this forum. ฺBut the sharpener, not many people talk about it.

The guys at Knifewear talked about this quite a lot on one of their streams. It's important to remember a large part of it is the Japanese craftsman culture. They said a large number of the sharpeners don't even want people to know they do it. They don't want the popularity (and likely all the good and potential that comes with it). They just want to focus on their craft and let the brand name get the credit for a good product.

Not all of course, and I wonder if the younger generation will have a different view.

Latest posts

Back