Best of Takefu

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by khashy, Feb 16, 2017.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1

khashy

khashy

khashy

I know there are a lot of very talented craftsmen working in the Takefu knife village. However for some reason, I find that I do not 'lust' after the knives that are made in Takefu like I do for some of the Sanjo or Sakai blades.

So I was wondering if there is something I'm missing or have not come across.

What are people's thoughts regarding Takefu? What do you guys deem the creme de la creme of Takefu?

Obviously this is another one of those entirely subjective things, but I'm just asking for personal opinions rather than statements of fact.

2. Feb 16, 2017 #2

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

Takamura Hamono is probably in my opinion the creme de la creme especially his higher end damascus blades, they are pure performance wrapped in beauty that is unrivaled, my takamura uchigumos are probably the best damascus I have ever seen and this includes numerous US black smiths who specialize in damascus. Saji Comes in second, especially with his urushi and makie blades and rainbow damascus(4 material damascus) I also enjoy his western approach introducing many fancier handle materials, predominately micarta, ironwood and bone. His blades are in my experience thinly ground reminiscent of a fujiwara's work. Yu Kurosaki is also worth looking at, his shimo line which is currently on sale may be the best performing blade I have ever used, unfortunately he danced with the devil and it is uber reactive,so the performance comes at a price, to give you an idea my two katos aren't even close to my shimo, which fondly enough are also reminisant of my fujiwara albeit slightly thinner at the edge, his AS line, westren R2 and Migaki lines are all relatively available and highly regarded for performance. The masakage koishi by hiroshi kato are also great and have served many a chef here well. Overall though I would get a takamura and if budget allowed a 240 uchigumo

3. Feb 16, 2017 #3

khashy

khashy

khashy

Thanks GS.

I do like the Uchigumo's but I have to say the price I feel is the thing that stops me from getting one.

The Saji's are really nice I only wish he made wa handles

I will definitely get a Kurosaki sooner or later - Migaki most likely.

Btw by Fujiwara, I assume you meant TF?

4. Feb 16, 2017 #4

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

Yeah terayusu fujiwara ive never handled the cheaper fujiwara because well I only use ferraris. I forgot shiro kamo works out of takefu, if your looking for a bigger gyuto there would be worse choices. Sajis handles although westren besides a few wa(they exist) are almost hybrid handles, being very light weight and are thinner, my x had a masakage zero and it was a stunner. As for the uchigumo I have 0 issue saying if that blade was made by an American blacksmith it would be 1K+ it really is a god tier knife, on the cheaper side is the red handle variant, the 210mm would make a good addition to any kit and would fill your takefu gap with arguably the best $/$ lazer on the planet. I have two being my main work knife during service. Worth mentioning is shibata kotetsu, super thin R2 lazers with kensaki style tips are pretty neat.

5. Feb 16, 2017 #5

khashy

khashy

khashy

Nice!

Wow, that good!

A red handle Takamura is definitely happening in my next trip to the US, a knife that thin must have some flex to it. Does it get annoying at all?

About Kotetsu, funny enough we actually have a retailer in the UK that stocks his knives. The style of the knife though is just not for me.

Out of interest, shape aside, how does the Kotetsu compare with the Takamura red handle performance-wise?

I'm a little surprised that Tsukasa Hinoura doesn't get a mention (same with Anryu, no love?)

6. Feb 16, 2017 #6

chiffonodd

chiffonodd

chiffonodd

:spin chair:

7. Feb 16, 2017 #7

add

add

add

Are these are partial tangs, like their pettys?

Handle is holding up fine in your workplace setting?

Thanks!

8. Feb 16, 2017 #8

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

Handle is partial almost half hidden tang. Hinoura is out of sanjo last I checked and his blades from what everyone has said kind of suck. Which is a huge let down. I played with a nakiri at knifewear and liked it but at $1400-$1500 after tax it's no where near worth it. The kotetsu handle is the lightest I've ever held which is needed given the thin blade. It is getting replaced soon by stefan with mammmoth, bog oak and micarta. Whenever I get around to mailing it.

9. Feb 16, 2017 #9

Godslayer

Godslayer

Godslayer

Sorry I am fancy ;) :knife:

10. Feb 18, 2017 #10

richard

richard

richard

Kotetsu performs just as well. Perhaps even a bit better cutting leverage because the balance is more blade heavy.

I'm comparing my Kotetsu 240 to a Tak 210 though, which may not be fair.

11. Feb 18, 2017 #11

khashy

khashy

khashy

So if you had to buy again, you'd buy the kotetsu?

12. Feb 19, 2017 #12

richard

richard

richard

13. Feb 19, 2017 #13

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

@Khashy love my Anryu carbon - I guess he's not super popular here because most of his currently much marketed stuff is VG10, which everyone considers pretty but not sexy :)

14. Feb 19, 2017 #14

khashy

khashy

khashy

I figured there must be a little bit of Anryu love somewhere.

I saw a part of the documentary that Knifewear had made about their visit to Takefu and I seem to recall that the Blacksmiths themselves had high regard for him

15. Feb 19, 2017 #15

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

If you look at the non-masakage, non VG10 stuff he does... for example his more inexpensive ones that Dieter Schmid has ... that stuff has something old school (lacquered handles, plastic ferrules), would-be-making-it-anyway-hype-be-damned about it... just like I like it :)

16. Dec 13, 2019 #16

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

My first knive was a Siro Kamo Santoku in blue#2, hardened to > 64 - i think for the money you get a whole lot of knive. Ground very thin together with this crisp heat treatment gives a perfect cut. Kamo and Anryu and Hiroshi Kato are definitively underrated.

17. Dec 13, 2019 #17

jchow

jchow

jchow

What about Yu Kurosaki's brother? How do these knives differ from the Sakai or Sanjo region?

18. Dec 13, 2019 #18

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

hmm, not sure - I remember his knives to be more on the laser side - very thin - but to be honest I have not had one in my hand, so I can´t really comment on any differences to the Sanjo or Sakai region.

19. Dec 13, 2019 #19

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

Makoto Kurosaki was an apprentice of Hiroshi Kato and is a very close friend of Yoshimi Kato. His knives are very similar to knives they make. Knives with spines in the 2.5mm range, tall grinds that are very thin behind the edge. As mentioned they are "laserish".

Oui Chef likes this.
  20. Dec 13, 2019 #20

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Takamura among others.

Oui Chef likes this.
  21. Dec 14, 2019 #21

zizirex

zizirex

zizirex

Takefu is a bit underrated here because this forum is a bit biased toward Sanjo and Sakai (and Takefu knives is mainly sold by "the OTHER FORUM/STORE") while vendor in here is selling Sanjo and exotic Sakai stuff like their bread and butter.
    Makoto Sakura line is very laser, close to GS+ or Ginga extra thin. the Ryusei in slightly better overall, but I don't like the finish and Makoto is a better sharpener if I remember. He was trained under MoriHiro.

For a general guide, Takefu is more of a like middleweight - laser grind knife, they are using prelaminated Takefu steel some are good, some are hit or miss.

Sakai (the real deal, not the cheapo Seki/Tosa made rebranded Sakai Takayuki etc), the best for wide bevel, single bevel, real Laser (Ashi, Konosuke, Kikumori etc) and Honyaki.

Sanjo, the heavyweight, the thick spine that tapers into a fine edge, the weight helps make a knife cut easier and KKF favourite style.

bahamaroot likes this.
  22. Dec 14, 2019 #22

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

Very nice summary!

I like both Takefu & Sanjo knives, for different use. My absolute fav. at the moment is Kurosaki AS Fujin. Stunning looker with excellent performance.

23. Dec 14, 2019 #23

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

Yeah very nice wrap up - but the people at Takefu do great knives!

24. Dec 14, 2019 #24

jchow

jchow

jchow

Thank you for the information! Very interesting to hear about how each region has their own general profile and work.

Draft saved Draft deleted