Best pan for ragu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having just made my second quad-recipe Marcella Hazan Bolognese in it, I can say I am thoroughly pleased with my new Breville Stainless Steel 5 quart saute pan. It's just perfect for the job. Appreciate the tip-off from this thread about heavy stainless saute pans being superior to enameled cast iron for this.

For wine, I used a Soave. I think one needs something not too distinctive (Sauv Blanc, Gruner Veltliner, for example, would bring too much of their peculiar character) and this fills the bill nicely.

Any pictures? My wife loved Marcella Hazan's recipe.

I am going to make the Ragu Bolognese that Oshidashi posted here.
(95) Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us! | Page 391 | Kitchen Knife Forums
I noticed here is another Ragu Bolognese that is very close to the one Oshidashi posted.
Italian Grandma Makes Bolognese Sauce - YouTube Both with basically the same recipe. If you leave out the basil. They both add the milk at the end.

I am just going to use beef and pork. The wife doesn't want me to use veal.

I have some fresh made wide pasta that I made.

Last edited:
I posted a recent meal in "Whats cooking":

DSC01157.jpg

@Nemo... I am in no way claiming cast iron is the 'best'... but I have yielded good results with it.... Once there is enough heat in the system, I turn the burners all the way down. A gentle, slow simmer is enough.

(Cooked with Little Giant Shiraz - @Nemo, @Michi, @cotedupy, @juice, a reasonable & reasonably priced red! But I am no connoisseur)

[Edit: Not Marcella Hazan's recipe.... ]

Last edited:
I've cooked mostly Italian for over 30 years. Like others have mentioned, Marcella Hazan was an amazing chef! I still go to her books for ideas and inspirations after all this time.

For the past 20 years I've used an enamel coated dutch oven, I had a Le Creuset for years until we lost it in a house fire. I switched over to Lodge brand and they are really nice for the price. Since I started using an EDO, I've never gone back to stainless steel again

Here is the one I made above. I started with my 5 quart and when he said in the video to add a liter of hot water, I had to switch pots to my 8-quart All-Clad copper core stock pot. It cooked a little over 5 hours.

IMG_0480.jpg

It was good with homemade pasta.
IMG_0481.jpg

Last edited:
I know, I’m a lonely voice in the wilderness but..

Btw, the order is wrong. The second image is after it’s cooked for several hours, the first is when I added the wine

View attachment 141331View attachment 141332View attachment 141333

Nice clay pot. That looks like Marcella Hazan's recipe when I cooked it.

I am kind of liking this Italian cooking. You guys have expanded my skills. I don't remember eating real Italian food like this. Most any Italian food here in Texas has lots of spices in it.

Last edited:
Nice clay pot. That looks like Marcella Hazan's recipe when I cooked it.

I am kind of liking this Italian cooking. You guys have expanded my skills. I don't remember eating real Italian food like this. Most any Italian food here in Texas has lots of spices in it.
Check out this guys site. For my money the most accessible true Italian cooking geared to an American audience.

https://memoriediangelina.com/
I was an enthusiastic early adopter of Marcella hazans books. When I look at the two original volumes now I remember how limited most people’s access to authentic ingredients was. She really transformed the way we eat.

Here is my copy of a cook book by Marcella Hazan that I own. I have never really used it. I think it was my mom's. I need to start cooking out of it more.

IMG_0490.jpg

After along delivery time (thanks Auspost and CV19), I have received the Fissler 10 l casserole and had an opportunity to use it for a big batch of ragu.

It's very heavy, around twice the weight of my old 10 l pan.

As hoped, when it catches, it catches much more evenly over the whole base of the pan. I get the impression that it catches slower and gives much more leeway between when it catches and when it burns.

After along delivery time (thanks Auspost and CV19), I have received the Fissler 10 l casserole and had an opportunity to use it for a big batch of ragu.

It's very heavy, around twice the weight of my old 10 l pan.

As hoped, when it catches, it catches much more evenly over the whole base of the pan. I get the impression that it catches slower and gives much more leeway between when it catches and when it burns.

You have any pictures? New pans are always fun.

I usually make bolognese resembling the Hazan recipe so I was curious to try the Vincenzo’s Plate method.
I made a half batch with a pound total of beef, veal and pork and one can of Cento San Mariano tomatoes; no passata.
C6BF2540-C24D-4A84-9BF6-E68D334E80E2.jpeg

I did cook the tomato paste into the meat and sopressata before adding the tomatoes out of habit.
Cooked down for six hours in an All Clad D3 saucepan until pretty dry, no burning.
37D2E04E-ECD7-40C8-8105-A17DC11F174F.jpeg

I chilled it overnight then reheated two portions with milk and butter for dinner.
2BA0FAAF-9664-41C8-9E77-9EF552E12DAB.jpeg

Served with pappardelle, basil and some cheesy garlic bread…
A48A015C-30D1-4BC1-B026-C6F7C2391903.jpeg
0E2EAB31-DF7A-471D-9830-CA63DC6D148A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back