Best sharpening stone(s) for German knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbeat1

Reaction score
I currently have a set of Zwilling Pro knives, and after advice from this site, I'm also planning on getting the Dickoron Micro steel. Now I just need to know what to buy to sharpen my knives.

I've been recommended to get a 1K stone, and possibly also a 2K stone. Is 1K enough, should I get both, or a third grid option? And is there a brand / stones that are just better than anything else? Price should generally not be taken into consideration.

My most used stone for German (soft) steel is Naniwa Chosera 800. Fast enough to use as only stone solution and give a very good working edge
If I want a finer egde, I use Chosera or SG 2000 as finisher.
If the edge need more work, I like to start with Chosera 400 or SG 500.
The finer stones I use for harder steel.

I’ve got some closeup pics of edges made with an SG1000 on a Wusthof (probably the same steel as your Z) and SG4000 on a Shun VG10 here:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/electric-sharpener-vs-stones-pics.52082/
I’d start with the 800 or 1k first and get your feet wet with both sharpening and the feel of the new edge. Then once you’re comfortable with that you can take a look at a 2k stone if you want.

I’m sharpening my j-knives to 4k but the experienced sharpeners on this forum are getting better edges with their 1k than me with a 4k, so it’s really the sharpener and not the stone past that point, IMHO.

Naniwa pro 800 or Sharpton pro 1500 is what I would suggest 😜

Looking through all the responses, the particular stone doesn't bloody matter, and neither does the grit if it's around the 1k mark :)

Consensus seems to be that there is no point going above 2k. So, if you want to use only a single stone, I'd go with a 1k stone.
If you want two stones, 800 plus 2k would be a good choice.

The soft stainless is quite abrasion resistant. When I sharpen German stainless for friends, I often start with a Shapton Glass 320. Finishing the deburring on a Naniwa Pro 600 (JIS800). Perhaps rough leather for cleaning up and pushing the debris to one side when deburring. If they are in good condition I can skip the first one and do all with the NP600. Perhaps a few final very light deburring strokes on a dry NP800 or 2k.
Certainly no polishing or looking for refinement. It won't hold.

Back