Best single mail delivery?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew H

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial
Reaction score
I got a new Stephan Fowler gyuto and finger stones from Dr Naka / johndoughy in one day.
My best delivery in quite awhile :D

So, what's your best knife related delivery been?

So far, best delivery for a knife actually has been the day when I have not gotten one. I been on the fence about getting one until I feel I can sharpen it properly, so anytime that I wait is a good day :)

Glad you got them! My incompetent post office allowed me to mail them as large letters, so it saved postage!

The day I got my first Japanese knives was pretty great, but the day the Rader passaround hit my door made me feel cool, the postal worker was impressed and was very coyly trying to ask what the hell was in that package!

I take it back. My first guitar arrived in the mail. Best mail package ever.
*edit* doh! That's not knife related.

Greatest so far is when I got my first set of knives ever, which happened to be cutco. Just as good was when I got my first set of japanese stuff. Even better will be when I get a Dave Gyuoto and Hiro rehandle. And in my mind the best of the best when I can save up enough money will be for a Del damascus knife, those are a thing of beauty.

That's a good question.

To me that means when you open that box all of your dreams came true.

Damn good question. Hmmmm.....

Devin Thomas Scimitar.

the day the Rader passaround hit my door made me feel cool, the postal worker was impressed and was very coyly trying to ask what the hell was in that package!

Hahaha that was a lot of fun wrapping that one up for you. Was there enough bubble wrap and tape?

Hahaha that was a lot of fun wrapping that one up for you. Was there enough bubble wrap and tape?

OH MY GOD.

I almost took a picture. It was like 20 minutes to get that thing out of there. I had enough that I threw away more than half of it, let my kid play with bubble wrap to her heart's content, and still had enough to pack it for the next guy.

I didn't even know Pharmacies had lawn-sized paper bags.

They have all been good so far, the ones from Jon are extra nice because they are sometimes wrapped and have notes. But, the most anticipated for me will hopefully be showing up in a few months from Texas.

They have all been good so far, the ones from Jon are extra nice because they are sometimes wrapped and have notes. But, the most anticipated for me will hopefully be showing up in a few months from Texas.

I do have to say. Getting a knife from Jon with a personalized note was a fantastic experience. That should have been on my list too. Probably one of my most used knives.

That's a good question.

To me that means when you open that box all of your dreams came true.

Damn good question. Hmmmm.....

Devin Thomas Scimitar.
That still might be my favorite of your knives. But it is hard to choose.

For me it was not from the delivery man but when my Kramer was delivered by the man himself.

I got a package from Koki that was delivered on Christmas Day.

Jay

My best mail delivery was my first Japanese knife, Tojiro DP 240 gyuto. Wow, when I took that thing out of the box, and felt the light nimbleness, compared to my "good" German knives (of which I had legions), I was astonished. All that followed (Tanaka, Kanemasa, Misono Swedish and stainless cleaver, Kagayaki wa 240, Hiromoto AS, Yoshikane hammered, et all) were fun and exciting, and some maybe better/prettier, but none compared to that first mind boggling revelation. Tho' none of these knives are the high end stuff you guys rave about...I'm just fine with it. ;-)

1. Two Kramers delivered overnight, enough reason to leave work early.
2. Shigefusa western damascus chefs (I never saw yet), rehandled by Adam. Then sent to Marko for a new saya. After six months & $1500 later, finally got to see it.
3. AES knife, waited 2 years and didn't really know how it would look/feel...awesome.

Non-knife related was my new mattress and Vebiemme Domobar espresso machine (separate orders of course).

There's been a few.....

I also was very moved by Jon Broida's detailed hand written letter on an order... It was very cool!

Best single mail delivery? Today, for sure. Express Mail delivered a mailing tube to my doorstep with a sujihiki and parer by Pierre Rodrigue:

04f1e311.jpg

Over on the Old Tools List we have a saying for situations like this: "you suck!"

Best single mail delivery? Today, for sure. Express Mail delivered a mailing tube to my doorstep with a sujihiki and parer by Pierre Rodrigue:
Niice.

The day my 270mm Rodrigue gyuto showed up at work mighta been my best knife-related delivery too. I'd told the FOH to keep an eye out for the mailman, so they knew I had something fancy coming and made a big fuss when he arrived. Opened it in front of an audience, lol.

Mine just came yesterday and made this a very easy question to answer:
Michael Rader 270mm custom Damascus chef's knife.
[video=youtube;O-4MKISdjGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-4MKISdjGE[/video]

Thanks! This video doesn't do it justice: I'll talk some more stills and video over the weekend.
Funny, this has never happened to me before, but my hands actually started shaking when I got the plastic halfway off the box. I felt like a fumbly teenager faced with his first braw strap...

Back