Best tips you learned from KKF

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoteRotie

Reaction score
Thought it might be good to have a thread for folks' favorite things that they learned from KKF.

Could be knife technique, cooking tips, sharpening tips, travel tips, etc.

The one that comes to mind for me right now is peeling ginger with a spoon. Never thought of it, but once you try it it's obviously the right way to do it.

Deburr and finish sharpening a knife using edge *leading* strokes, especially on mediocre stainless. https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/finishing-with-edge-leading.42647/

Don’t round the spine on whatever you use as a boning knife, and use the spine to scrape meat away from the bones, e.g. when boning chicken legs.

Before the forum, I was exclusively a chop and push cut man. Now I pull more than I push, because it’s easier to get more horizontal action in the stroke (and hence, the micro-serrations can do their work better) and because if you end the stroke more towards the tip where the knife is shorter, there’s less knife for the food to grip and you get better food release.

Wash your rice, lest you get arsenic poisining! And soak it before cooking. (Thanks, @Xenif.) I’ve found this very helpful when making mexican red rice: I now soak the rice for hours, then dry the outside thoroughly, then toast in the pan with some oil, then add the tomato stuff and the broth. Best texture I’ve managed, at least, but no doubt others have more experience. https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/plain-ole-steamed-rice-how-clean-do-you-rinse-it.42731/

Buy good end grain or rubber cutting boards. It makes all the difference in edge retention.

Don’t bother buying end grain or rubber cutting boards. It makes little difference in edge retention, as long as you’re not using glass or bamboo.

Last edited:
I decided to up my coffee game recently, moving from store-ground coffee and an old Bunn drip machine to a Technivorm Moccamaster drip machine and Baratza Encore grinder, based on recommendations here. Probably the best investment I made this year, since we're pretty well set with other kitchen gear. Thanks to all the coffee gurus here for that info!

I've also been watching whatever discussions come up about higher-end range/oven appliances, since we'll be putting our house on the market this year and then downsizing (a lot!). I have to start thinking about working in a smaller kitchen than we're used to, and everything related to that when people post on that subject is useful.

Because I'm pretty happy with the knives I have now.... I know, heresy!... I'm probably paying more attention to this Cooking part of the forum than the more knife-centric areas. I still read the knife stuff and enjoy it, but there is a wealth of information here in just basic cooking and kitchen stuff that keeps me coming back to read and (sometimes) contribute.

The best tips are the tips that we repaired by summoning collective KKF knowledge

The ten things I've learned since arriving at KKF:
1) I don't have enough knives
2) I don't have enough money
3) Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids! Jnats are for rabbits
4) I'm a Knife Buddhist
5) There are things I didn't know existed, at unimaginable prices that I don't need at all but must one day sell a kidney to acquire
6) Stroping is a controversial subject, Edge Trailing/Leading is a controversial subject, cutting an onion is a controversial subject, discussion of Controversial subjects is a controversial subject
7)People are generally nice, but the turds are real
8) Oh you/I so need that!
9) His name is Jon Brodia, thou shall go forth and watch his videos
10) Who knew knives could be so much fun

Great thread! Brilliant @CoteRotie

I’ve learned a lot. Most useable so far: getting help to improve edge leading strokes. Man that helped a lot with the results.
Worst so far... all those darn good looking knives I do not want to want.

If you don't want to see posts from a certain subforum (when you use the New Posts feature), go to that subforum, click mark as read at top and confirm for that sub, not everything. (Thanks @Michi )

Last edited:
That it's Ok (perfectly reasonable) to own more than one 240 Gyuto. :)

And love the whats cooking thread.

That it's Ok (perfectly reasonable) to own more than twenty-one 240 Gyutos. :)

That Toyama and Watanabe are the same person.

That all knives everywhere are made by Mazaki wearing a series of disguises, some of them quite elaborate and others no more than joke shop facial hair. For the factory ones he does a Rumplestiltskin and makes them all in one night, nobody knows how. At least that’s what I read on an an Internet forum so it warrants dissemination.

Back