Best Turkey gutting knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Cutter

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry haven't been round here in ages, site still looks as good as ever Dave :)
Need best knife possible for gutting turkeys and was wondering if any of the good folk on here have had experience of this before?
One that will hopefully retain an edge whilst cutting into and around bone, would like flexible blade, stainless (carbon will get trashed).
All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Jim

Are you just looking to just gut the birds, or break them down as well? Garasuki is the traditional large poultry butchering knife; I'm not sure what that means for gutting. Otherwise, the words "bone", "flexible" and "stainless" made me think of the Forschner flexible boning knife.

Victorinox rosewood 5.5500.25 butcher knife, relatively soft stainless, thin behind the edge, little flex, some €40.

Over the past few years, a local store saws in half the left over turkeys and sells them at a discounted price. I've used a honesuki to break down a turkey with no issues.

Jay

I'm going early to help my ma with the food this year, and bringing my usual travel knife - 270 Fujiwara FKM sujihiki. Although my uncle will probably bring his electric carver, I think I'll sharpen the Fuji-suji to only 1200 (or possibly even 600) to give it some bite, and then try slicing the turkey with it.

The knife will be used to process the birds.
Basically, once plucked they need to be beheaded, gizzards and guts removed, wing tips taken off.
The knife will not be used post processing or after cooking.
It doesn't need to be a pretty or showy knife just practical. It will live in a shed for it's short life, will likely be used abused, dropped etc.
I was thinking along the lines of a filliting knife.
I did have a rubber handled fillet type knife a few years back that also had a built in v shaped sharpening type affair in the plastic sheath but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Jim

Victorniox and some of the other meat packing knife companies make what they call a "poultry knife" with 4-inch boning type blade and a full size handle that sounds like it might work very well for what you need.

Back