Bester 2000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingShapton

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone here has experience with the (Imanishi) Bester 2000?

The Bester 1200 is a really good stone, it would be interesting to find out if the Bester 2000 is also that good.

i have the cleancut kitayama 4k. and i think it might be the exact same stone as the bester 4k from fine-tools.
they come in the exact same box...

wasserstein-stapel-1.jpg

but if i read on fine tools they say this:
These stones work well on stainless steel as well as high-carbon and tool steels. The 400, 4000 and 8000 grit stones are somewhat harder than the 700, 1000, 1200, and 2000 grit stones.

fairly certain my 4k is a resin bound stone, and its also very light weight. dont soak up water. so the 2k would be not resin bound most likely, and softer most likely. whatever now that might be.

i'm only 95% sure this is the stone i have though. compared to other stones i have in this grit range i think it gouges easier but it creates a good kasumi eaiser. it feels very creamy.

shapton glass 4k is faster, and stays flatter. dont really matter much in this grit range though.

dont know how well this will translate to the 2k. its probably not even the same chemistry. but its probably the same maker.

for the 2k range i think both the glass and pro shaptons are killer and also the naniwa pro is good (but it cracks) and i have a feeling no matter who makes it, no other stones will beat those 3 by a big enough margin to be worth switching.
and thats whats it pretty much boils down to for me. can you make a significantly better 2k stone than these?? no? then why should i buy that? why even take chance?

I know, own and love the two 2000 Shapton Pro and Glass.

Generally I like the 2000 range very much, I have more stones in this range.

Since the Bester 1200 is my favorite soaker (a fantastic stone), I'm curious about the Bester 2000.

And Naniwa Chosera / Pro is not an option, I find the prices excessively high.

but if i read on fine tools they say this:
These stones work well on stainless steel as well as high-carbon and tool steels. The 400, 4000 and 8000 grit stones are somewhat harder than the 700, 1000, 1200, and 2000 grit stones.
At least for the 1200 the description is not correct, it is very hard!

Here is my little review of the bester 2k

its a soaker.
very hard.
release little or no abrasive.
doesn't feel super nice and creamy but not bad.
no problems with powder SS.
if very very careful it can create a fairly good kasumi contrast.
usually it removes all contrast though! (can be seen in the blade pic where its silver colored).
good even scratch pattern.
impossible to clean.

its a workhorse stone meant to get sh1t done fairly fast.
allinall its very similar to the Juuma 2k. but the juuma is better.

bester2k 1.JPG

bester2k 2.JPG

Thank you for sharing your impressions.

I like what I can see from your report. Since I already have the Bester 1200 and really appreciate it, I will probably give the Bester 2000 a chance soon ...

i would get the juuma 2k instead. it does everything the bester does but a bit better imo. and its thicker, and maybe a bit cheaper too.

I know, own and love the two 2000 Shapton Pro and Glass.

Generally I like the 2000 range very much, I have more stones in this range.

Since the Bester 1200 is my favorite soaker (a fantastic stone), I'm curious about the Bester 2000.

And Naniwa Chosera / Pro is not an option, I find the prices excessively high.
Any idea how the Bester 1200 compares to the Cerax 1000?

the 3k cerax/ouka is very nice for kasumi if you want some contrast but still refined and smooth scratch pattern imo.

the 3k cerax/ouka is very nice for kasumi if you want some contrast but still refined and smooth scratch pattern imo.
Thanks, I thought of getting one of those and maybe also a 6000, but since I already had a Kitayama 8000 I got a Rika 5000. The jump from Cerax 1000 to Rika 5000 seems fine, the kasumi seems nice as well but I'm very new at this.

I like what I can see from your report. Since I already have the Bester 1200 and really appreciate it, I will probably give the Bester 2000 a chance soon ...

did you get one? if yes, what do you think about it?

How long would you say your bester 1200 takes to dry?

I recently got one and after 3 days i thought it was dry, but the next morning the stock carton box i put it in said otherwise :(

I recently got one and after 3 days i thought it was dry, but the next morning the stock carton box i put it in said otherwise :(

most soakers takes a week :)

I always play it safe with soakers and let them dry for at least 1 week. Three days are definitely too short.

did you get one? if yes, what do you think about it?
Yes, in the meantime I've got the stone.

For the sake of simplicity, I will compare it with the impressions you have described. And as we all know here, the impressions of stones on different people are always subjective and often differ from one another.

its a soaker.
:Iagree:

very hard.
Yes, the stone is hard, possibly slightly less hard than a Shapton Pro, but really very little.

release little or no abrasive.
The stone does not release a lot of abrasives, but I rub it with a mini diamond plate and create a bit of mud.

doesn't feel super nice and creamy but not bad.
For me it's the exact opposite, I find the stone very creamy and I like the feeling of sharpening on it.

no problems with powder SS.

if very very careful it can create a fairly good kasumi contrast.
It's something I'm not interested in at all, I'm interested in sharpening, not in kasumi or polishing.

usually it removes all contrast though!

good even scratch pattern.

impossible to clean.
Impossible to clean the stone with a synthetic Nagura from Matsunaga, that's true.

But with a mini diamond plate no problem at all, even a Nagura from Suehiro (Cerax or Traditional series) should work fine.

its a workhorse stone meant to get sh1t done fairly fast.
The stone is not slow, but the Shaptons (Glass and Pro) are faster for me in comparison. But there is also the possibility that I may simply be more used to the Shaptons (for years). I haven't used the Bester that often, my own mind may be mistaken.

allinall its very similar to the Juuma 2k. but the juuma is better.
I can't make the comparison, I haven't tried the Juuma stones yet.

What I also have to add is that the Bester 2K creates an excellent edge with lots of bite for me. I'm really excited about it, this edge is excellent for butchery and is a very good all-round edge if you like lower-finished edges.

The sharpness, the bite is different from the Shapton Pro or Glass 2K. I don't want to say better, I haven't been using the stone long enough for that. But what I can say, that I appreciate this stone very much and that I don't want to do without it anymore. In short, the Bester 2K has become one of my favorites in synthetic stones in a very short time.

I always find it interesting how different the assessment of a stone can be. Especially with an experienced user like @inferno who, like me, has already tested a lot of different stones. In the end, it's always a matter of personal likes and dislikes, and I personally learn a lot from this exchange of impressions.

By the way, thank you @inferno for your effort to present many different stones here in the forum and to describe your impressions. I've wanted to say that for a long time.

Back