Beyond boring cocktails

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to experiment more with cocktails. I've long been following Quinary - a bar in HK that makes many drinks that are beyond boring cocktails (e.g. spirit, fruit juice, simple syrup, clever yet somehow a yawn of a name, and done). The bar menu is found here:
https://0c044a92-180a-4448-8bfe-569...d/7c65c8_cc1e7320d20d4534980b0cd66b439f28.pdf
One drink that's especially interesting / seemingly least challenging to me is the first one. I hope to be able to replicate this with your help; if not replicate, at least come up with a similar derivative. This drink has the following ingredients:

Michter’s Rye Whiskey Infused with Black Glutinous Rice
Amaro Averna
Mango & Tamarind Purée
Taro & Coconut Foam Cloud
Powdered Sweet Purple Potato Chips

Of course, the last one is just a garnish, so we'll focus on the other three...

Foam cloud: I assume this is a taro and coconut flavored liquid with soy lecithin and then whipped into a stable foam. Nothing special, and we've seen this done with other drinks at gastronomic bars and restaurants.

Mango and Tamarind puree: the ratio of the two, and the ratio of this combination just seems to be trial and error. Seems straight forward.

Amaro Averna: the only thing straight from a bottle. Simple enough.

Whiskey infused with black glutinous rice: a few things I don't understand about this - 1. how is this done? 2. how can anyone taste the mild flavor of rice infused into a base spirit as flavorful as whiskey?

To make matters more complicated, there are barely any photos/videos of this drink online. But one video on Youtube shows this drink as more of a froyo/smoothie texture. Maybe the black rice is cooked, soaked in whiskey, and then blended to a puree with other ingredients?

Here is the video:

Discussion welcome, help me make this!

isn't the glutinous rice used to make the whisky a sort of jelly-like? I can hardly imagine the flavor of the rice can get through something as powerful as whiskey.

glutinous rice has loads of starch, I don't know if they use it for that but I imagine taht mixing whiskey and some of the cooking water makes the whiskey more viscous...just guessing...

My take (I'm decent enough with cocktails) is that @MarcelNL is spot on. The starch is likely being used as a thickener for the whisky.

You could, I suppose, make some sticky rice with whisky in it, then use it as a weird base for a beverage, but you couldn't really drink it, and it sounds kind of horrible.

There is no way in hell you are tasting anything to do with rice in a decent concentration of whisky.

So it seems the drink is really just whiskey and amaro with sweetness and acid from mango and tamarind... Made into a somewhat thick consistency.

Latest posts

Back