Bidinger B-Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read first you impatient forum trolls!

Hey all. Sorry this took so long, I had a major career change, a death in the family, then a death in the computer (video card), so putting this together took quite a while.

I asked the kind and inimitable Dan Bidinger for a knife that maximized food release at all costs. He returned a MagnaCut B-Grind with a beefy, workhorse geometry underneath (basically he ground it like a workhorse first, then removed the fullers). You can see how it does against two other top performers (top in my block anyway, The 9.Nine and Yoshikane). Keep in mind, those are already stiff competion for blancing ease of cutting and food release.

I gave this knife the hardest tasks I could think of that need good geometry. Potatoes were far too easy, so it got squash, a whole bunch of other stuff, and a hard AF cold soaked for 3-days Japanese sweet potato. Every knife I have choked in that potato, it was Godzillatato.

Oh, and if you want to see TWO B-Grinds head to head, watch until the end. The second was a loaner that has a mid-weight geometry under the B-Grind.

My takehomes were: 1) Dan really knows how to grind a knife, even before the B-Grind is added. Smooth convex, heavy, constant distal taper for onions, fantastic balance, very usable profile (I preferred the yellow handle’s profile, personally) 2) The B-Grind significantly helps increase food release and reduce cutting drag 3) His handles are amazing, just amazing. 4) I ordered a second B-Grind with the mid-weight geometry after trying the loaner, coming down the pipe in about a year.

And yes, I go through many costume changes in the video.

Nice video! I've been searching for makers using MagnaCut. What steel did you request for the 2nd B-grind?

Last edited:
Thank you! The second knife is still one year away. So I haven’t made a decision yet. I'm leaning toward AEBL. A

Each steel has exactly the tradeoffs you'd expect. MagnaCut basically needs diamond stones in my mind, but should hold an edge quite a long time. Finishing time, pain in the ass, and cost are all higher as well. I doubt I'll wear out an AEBL knife in my lifetime.

The AEBL seemed quite nice for the week I had it, no complaints, seems easier to sharpen to a level in happy with.

Last edited:
Have you tried chopping the onion with the bgrind? I thought you might be able to pull off the onion staying intact with the bgrind knife, anyways nice video.

There’s an onion in the vid. I did some others, similar story
I saw the vid. What I meant was did you try doing a chop with the bgrind on the onion instead of a push cut.

Last edited:
The more I use it the more I love it.
E49FBD65-106B-47C4-BA70-8D720BEFBFD5.jpeg

Back