Biggest Cowboy Tricks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't exactly remenber how but Mr.Gepetto got stuck , you are right he was carpenter

"no, it's okay guey":rofl2:"
It reminded me my old saute cook , who we called Mr.Gepetto since he was the master of shoemaking. When I walked in the kitchen (he was a lunch cook) the smell of burnt garlic would confirm : yep , Walter is working today... :cheffry:

I don't know if you call this cowboy tricks but....

Nothing against Mexicans but they SWEAR they know what they are doing and stuff its kind of funny being the only "WHITE" guy its funny watching these guys just look at recipes and follow them to a T

Chef used a mop bucket and wringer to squeeze water out of some previously frozen spinach- claims it was a CLEAN bucket and wringer

Same guy used to microwave everything for 30secs to 'bring it up to room' before pan roasting

Eeeverything, he was the long established sous at a kitchen I was brought in to head up. Excruciating

Shoe making comes from a couple hundred years ago as a blanket term for anyone who was an unskilled hack at their job. Now, it's mainly used in restaurants.

One I heard was someone in the weeds needing creme anglaise hot for banquet desserts and this custard really was not getting hot, so the guy shoe-horned the centre of the solid top into the pan... Mmmmm, extra vanilla seeds

Again not a cowboy trick but more of a story I worked with a kid who came to me upset because he over cooked a tray of lobster tails. I asked him what happened and he said he kept cooking them because the meat hadn't popped out of the shell yet. That's when I realized he didn't prep them and thought the meat sat On top of the shell when it was done like a turkey timer. Thanks god I wasn't the chef there just a line cook

Again not a cowboy trick but more of a story I worked with a kid who came to me upset because he over cooked a tray of lobster tails. I asked him what happened and he said he kept cooking them because the meat hadn't popped out of the shell yet. That's when I realized he didn't prep them and thought the meat sat On top of the shell when it was done like a turkey timer. Thanks god I wasn't the chef there just a line cook

Nothing to do with cooking, but it reminds me of the time a fresh out of school kid was all upset because a whole box of washers was broken. (They were lock washers.)

I've seen plenty of stuff like this

One guy I saw dropped a stuff flounder that landed flat on a dirty greasy floor and without missing a step scooped it up onto a plate.

Same guy dropped a steak into the trash next to the grill and pulled it out wiped it off and served it. I ended up walking out if that place, the manager would clean the honey pot and without changing clothes or washing up come prep good.

Another place guys would micorwave everything from king crab to scrambled eggs

I've seen guys cook corn in the dirty water in the bottom of a steamer.

I've watched a chef slice a rare ny strip and sear it on the flattop and try to put it back together and cover it with sauce and garnish

Some really low standards out there.

The chef owner of a complete shitshow that I worked at a few years back, received a phone call. So I brought the cordless phone back to him, he was in the midst of wrecking some halibut and just grabbed the phone with fish goo all over his bare hands. Gave me the full body shudder imagining how many other parts of the restaurant he'd touched with goo-some hands. I also watched him stand in the main entry way next to a table of customers that he was familiar with, and have a 15 minute conversation, whilst holding a chunk of raw pork loin in a shallow half pan. Mind you- he was holding it off to the side so every customer that walked into the restaurant had to witness this. he was also on his way home. With a naked piece of pork, in a pan...

I've seen a cook replace the milk in pancake batter with his own fresh warm urine. Sick bastard, but he could kick my ass so what could I do. At least he didn't add any salt to the batter.:scared4:

I've seen a cook replace the milk in pancake batter with his own fresh warm urine. Sick bastard, but he could kick my ass so what could I do. At least he didn't add any salt to the batter.:scared4:

Despicable

Yo, Mike knows how to cook sh1t pretty fast.

Just thought of one more for this thread. Scrambled eggs, made on an espresso machine with the milk steaming wand.

I worked as a barista when I was at uni, this was at my first day at a job, dodgy cook walks out with eggs in a stainless milkshake cup, it had been going on for years. At the end of the day I took apart the coffee machine there was years of built up egg mix lining the inside of the pipes running from the boiler, just horrible.

Waw that brought back memory's 8 years ago I saw exactly the same thing!
The worst part is the coffee machine is almost always in full view of the customers!!
Shudder

Espresso machine eggs! That is really creative. I am trying to figure out how that makes life easier for anybody. It wouldn't even reduce the number of dirty dishes would it? I like the idea in the abstract but what is the practical advantage? Does it make really good eggs or something?

Speaking of eggs- A buddy of mine worked with this guy who every morning would make himself a large omelette comprised of twenty or so quail eggs! This went on for a 6 weeks or so, and the chef eventually found out and fired the guy for it. On his way out the guy says: 'it was worth it! When will I ever be able to have quail egg omelettes for six weeks straight ever again!' Thought that was pretty awesome...

Back