BillHanna is getting some stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillHanna

Gotta get ready for ARM
Reaction score
just got these pics from Maillet today. It just needs some polishing and a handle.

EDIT: nice fxcking Mazaki, Bill. geez.

120x33mm k tip petty. 135Cr3 mono.

Attachments

• maillet5.jpg
    maillet5.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 96
  • maillet6.jpg
    maillet6.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 100
  • maillet4.jpg
    maillet4.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 97
  • maillet2.jpg
    maillet2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 95
  • maillet1.jpg
    maillet1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Both? Good call, though. I have fun with my honesuki, but I wanted to try something smaller. Maybe this can be my chicken slayer, and the other can be my TurkeyTamer. We shall seeeeee.
in b4 your wife co-opts this as her chef knife 😜

I’m getting his bird’s beak handle. I asked for something local or his favorite for the wood. He’s gonna get back to me with two choices.

Going with number 2. I should have asked for his maker's mark on the other side, since I'm correct handed. ah well. next time.

I like 2. Any chance you could get a more "blingy" spacer with build? Malachite or Turquois - or something to pop?

I like 2. Any chance you could get a more "blingy" spacer with build? Malachite or Turquois - or something to pop?
I like the understatedness. I almost prefer no ferrule.

I'm probably with you Bill - no.2 looks perfect as it is :)

Though if ever you or anyone else does ever want to make a handle with a bit of bling in the spacer here's a fun technique I came up with, and is considerably easier than faffing around with stone...

This is 5 minute epoxy coloured with mica and cast in a beer bottle cap:

Screenshot 2021-11-03 010801.jpg

Remove when just set, a little smear of oil in the cap beforehand will help get it out easily too. Then epoxy yer handle blank together (obviously this pic is of a different spacer - mica powder is dirt cheap and comes in any colour you can imagine):

Screenshot 2021-11-03 010826.jpg

Et Voila... cool huh!

Screenshot 2021-11-03 010735.jpg Screenshot 2021-11-03 010847.jpg

But yeah - handle 2 without any bling looks ace!

Last edited:
The chibi-hone has slayed one chicken, and I really enjoy the shorter length. For me, my wife, and two (2 and 7) kids, the smallest bird I can find will do.

I was concerned the handle was a bit long, but I found myself adjusting my hand along it, so it was all useful. The amount of ferrule still gets me, but less so every day(seven days so far).

Just got an email confirmation from Spåre that he's working on our knives. I think I might go local-ish for the next one(Hyde).

Back